Every morning I scan the headlines and look for articles that may be of interest to our target members. Normally one or two if I'm really critical and avoid the stuff that is topping news everywhere - which I assume you get to hear anyway.

But today there are 4 bubbling just under the surface - which makes me think we might want to handle news delivery a slightly different way.

To give an idea of what I'm talking about - it certainly is not the Shaik appeal. The four I'm talking about are:

SA slips in WEF competitiveness index
SA unemployment rate dips slightly
Focus on race as Solidarity slams equity reports
Parly 'loses' R3m in assets

Now what catches my eye in these stories is not necessarily what makes it newsworthy in the eyes of the media.

For example - Solidarity taking a position against racial classification is no big surprise, but buried in that article is a deadline looming for an EE report with some pretty stiff penalties for non-compliance - And this is what business minded folk absolutely need to know.

But it doesn't make the news headlines in the media, does it. In fact, it's rather easy to skim the headline and move on - without realising there is important information hidden in there.

I know I damn nearly missed the increase in the UIF earnings ceiling. I received no notification from SARS or DoL and tripped across it as a sideline in a story a few days before the change. And it would peeve me no end to have to pay penalties and interest, not to mention the hassle of trying to get the records corrected, for no good reason other than no one told me.

Then the other day I received an emailed missive that as a byline reminded me that VAT returns for this month were due on Monday 25th. But of course, Monday was a public holiday and the return was actually due on Friday 22nd. This little slip would have cost me 10% of the value of the VAT return - non tax deductable too, which means it would have cost me some income tax too. Shows what can happen if you don't pay attention to the details.

So all that to make a few fairly short points.

Do I simply post each of these items and highlight the little gem hidden in the story?

Or is there value in putting together a simple little ezine that is distributed daily/weekly/whatever that pulls these little gems together?

Your comments would be appreciated.