Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five best antivirus applications

Thanks

Five best antivirus applications

linky

nice to see that people like free. and that norton doesn't feature anywhere except a past reference

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK. So what do you rate as best?

They should have done two polls - best free and best pay-to-use.

I mean Nod32 or Kaspersky vs AVG - Duh!

Thanks
    don't think price should factor in on an antivirus. you've either got good or bad in my eyes. sure you can pay more for the professional version with a whole bunch of stuff you don't really need, but at the end of the day, if a paid for antivirus does the job better than a free antivirus, it is better as a program. plenty of market gimics out there.

Thanks
    yes, normally paying, or paying more for an AV gives you a lot of extra features, and often those extra features are desired, and thus paid for.

MOST free AV's don't have anti-spam, parental, firewalls & anti-phishing built in, so if you want it / need it, you pay for it.

So, apart from Clamav which is totally free, I personally feel these are the better (best?) ones: AVG & BitDefender - they tend to be less slow than the others, and still very easy to use for the end user. This is important, since if they user don't know how to use it properly, his PC won't really be protected
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    agreed on the light weight feel, but sadly bit defender was one of the biggest let downs I've ever used. 2 separate PCs became infected, even after some professional edition of bit defender was installed. funnily enough, AVG came to the rescue once it was installed.

Thanks
    Well, Norton probably is the best, BUT that is exactly the problem with Norton. It plugs so many corks in a system that it is impossible to use your PC properly. But I must say AVG has never let me down for several years so I am a happy user, it is good to see others sharing the experience.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    My free AV of choice is Avira's AntiVir. I like it because it doesn't slow my PC down, and because it's free (obviously). The only drawback is that it displays a banner when it does the virus definition updates. You can close it immediately, so it doesn't bother me at all. You can download it from freeav.com

Thanks
    We're running AVG Network edition. Have found it catches most problems - but are also running Clam which sometimes catches stuff AVG seems to turn a blind eye to.

As for SpyWare filters (outside the new AVG 8) we've not found any worth it's salt. Either it doesn't do the job. Or it simply kills the PC's performance.

Thanks
    Sorry to bring up the old topic. Recently faced a similar problem and this is what I want to say,

tend to just stick with the default Windows Defender on Windows systems as it does not interfere with stuff and works well enough. it just tends to be one of the safer choices in general and its protection is good enough.

but as usual... the best line of defense is the user being cautious about what they allow to run on their systems and don't fall for Phishing schemes, etc. so if your fairly good here, hopefully, if something does slip by, Windows Defender will catch it.

and as a general rule... don't have Java or Flash installed on your browser unless you must use them as just doing that gives one a decent boost to their overall system security and keep your programs up to date, especially your browser and chances are you will be fine.

my advice... avoid using smartphones for anything important online as they tend not to get security updates as quickly, or at all, unlike Windows/Linux desktop which gets security updates quickly, etc.

p.s. but I use Linux (Linux Mint v19.3) Linux Mint 19.3 “Tricia” Cinnamon released! – The Linux Mint Blog as my general day-to-day OS. so I don't run any anti-virus but instead use Firejail 20 (a sandbox program for Linux (I run the newest one on their SourceForge page)) to help ensure nothing shady gets onto one's system from browsing the web, especially if your occasionally on suspect websites, but even occasionally more legit websites get hit with drive-by downloads.

Firejail is just extra insurance for one's Home folder basically and it's easy enough for the average person to get it running on their browser and basically does not interfere with general use (although you're limited to saving files, by default, only to the 'Downloads' folder and when you run files you download, make sure to access them from your file browser and not from Firefox itself since it will be in the sandbox which we don't want). many say one does not need anti-virus for Linux systems which is why as a bonus, those who have underpowered CPU will benefit from an overall faster running system on Linux than they would with Windows since fewer CPU resources are wasted running unnecessary junk.

Thanks
    I heard on a podcast recently that Investec uses Cylance...I'll be going for this when next I upgrade...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast