Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The right thing for the wrong reasons

Thanks
    If your whole heart is not in a proposal or project,or if you have to comprise on your morals or character, walk away. In essence you have answered your own question, it is motivation that is key, and if that is a problem at the sound of the starting gun, it always seem to gather negative speed exponentially, and in the end you will be embroiled in something that may cost you dearly.

I always think of it this way, and I don't know if this will help you, but here goes: The people you get into bed with says everything about you. It says nothing about them. I mean this in the business sense of course!

There is no shame in admitting that one is in business for the money, and only for the money. I know a lot of good people that has that as the driving force in their lives. However, if your work is a calling, your passion, then you have to remain pure.

Being in development you get asked to do all sorts of things, not illegal, but it is just not right. I can then make a decision: I only write the code, and what people use it for, is not my responsibility, and that makes perfect sense. Using the example of a car : If I design and sell a car, surely it is not my fault if the driver chooses to drink and drive.

Even if I KNOW beforehand that that is what the driver is going to do, I can still claim no responsibility. But that is not what my heart says, for my choice is to make a difference and to make a difference for the better. Perhaps this has come on your path so that you can make that decision right now, and that will influence your business. One bad bed fellow is still a word of mouth out there, and you might just end up with a few more offers on the table that you are just not quite sure of. And remember : A negative and a positive will always end up a negative.

Sometimes our names get called and we need to make a stand. Take a look at what it says at the end of your msg's, do you want to remain silent? For silence can become deafening.

It will muddy the water? Oh Dave, the water is already mirky by what you write, and I do understand that you but tell us very little due to confidentiality, which makes it harder to try and help. But I guess by the answers you are getting, at least you can see that you are not alone and that we are trying to be there for you.

May wisdom guide you!

2. Thank given for this post:

Chatmaster (11-Jun-08), Dave A (05-Jun-08)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Afraid I think I am misunderstanding your post - I get the feeling you are using an analogy which does not clearly indicate the true moral issue.

So in the same vein :
    How about giving the driver a bicycle, with the promise that after evidence of safe driving and caring for his biycycle, the bicycle will be replaced with a vehicle.

If you are in fact referring to a real life driver, who potentially is driving unsafely, remember the moral issue and how this affects your relationships with others, for example your insurance broker, if you have a potential "risk" which you acknowledge exists, you owe it to all "relationships" involved to do everything in your power to reduce that risk!

Thanks
    Hee-hee, I didn't start the car story, so I just plugged it in. Unfortunately in our game,once your work is done, it is not up to you to monitor what the end-user is doing with your system. But hey, grand idea, next time I get asked for something I am not comfortable with, I shall offer them a bicycle. The law however holds a completely different view by the way when it comes to driving, and actually can rule on the opinion upheld by society.

Now that everyone is thoroughly confused by the car analogy, i am going with debby -- assume the crash test dummy position!

On a more serious note though Yvonne, I think that in this instance a better analogy would be that of the scientist in a lab. Just because the technology is available, it doesn't mean that it is morally correct, and I agree with your statement.

so I shall close with honk-honk, dave we've lost your car!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Amazing how time heals wounds. It took me nearly 5 minutes of serious head-scratching to remember what the crisis was that prompted me to ask the question.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here's words of wisdom from Stalin, the dictator of Russia:
    "Where there are people there are problems, where there are no people there are no problems."
    It's about playing the game right and keeping your side clean with every possible legal tool, then no one can touch you. Main thing is don't let yourself fall into a trap. Because when they know that you are an upright person, they play you by trying to make you feel you are doing the right thing.

That's my unnecessary philosophy, I'll apologize in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro Bagrov View Post
    That's my unnecessary philosophy, I'll apologize in advance.
    No need. From the forum's point of view it was an entirely theoretical exercise. It would have been good advice at the time, which means it's still good advice today if anyone else ever finds themselves in a similar dilemma.

For the record - it turned out that the reason does matter.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Dave: 'Don't put your key to happiness in someone else's' pocket" Tell the people you are assisting with the business plans that their unwritten motives are evident and it will sink their planned paper intentions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.