Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADT alarm and armed response

Thanks
    I can not agree more! I don't want to know if someone is already in my house, I am then completely vulnerable and have only seconds to react. How silly is that? Even way back when I was still on the ball and in training with a sniper, it was no plan, so what about now when I am completely rusty? Plus it is boring to get your gun out every night and putting it away in the morning.

After a spade of burglaries in our 'hood, I decided enough was enough, and my hubby and I decided that we would put on our criminal caps, and see what makes certain houses attractive. Firstly they love the dark and bushy gardens, lots of hidy holes. Walls around your house is also very attractive, they can hide behind it, and there is the new method on the market, fence running & jumping. They also don;t like noise.

My hubby did our own alarm system, and I promise you, you can not set foot on our property without lights flashing and alarms screaming. On the perimeters of our property, not in the house though we have that too. That made a lot of sense and was a very cheap option, though I don't understand the techy stuff that he did. I only know that when the alarm goes off there is a box where I can see where someone tripped the alarm, so that I can pin-point location.

Also the response time of the security companies remain a problem, so we had to come up with a better plan. I did very quick research on the suburbs where crime is rife and when you drive through these areas the one thing you don't see in the streets is movement. It is very quiet.

In the old days when we just moved in, we were on the outskirts of Pta, so it was literally a question of taming the West, and we were 4 who used to storm out with our guns on a count-down no less. But us 4 knew what we were doing and trusted each other, we worked well together and no one was trigger happy. We just chased the criminals off, never did we need to fire off a shot.

However, today things look different and we are supposed to become the new center of Pretoria, we are completely built-up and just off Zambesi Drive. We had to come up with a new plan.

I called a meeting in the park, and we discussed reaction plans, worked everything out, so that we could patrol our own space. We all know the police is under-sourced, I have called only to be told they had no vechicles, or they had vehicles but no petrol. It is not their fault. So we have to step up and take responsibility for our own safety.

Fortunately I insisted on a dry run, as I did not know a lot of the people in the 'hood, and I had visions of running into a neighbour, high on adrenaline, responding to the alarm, and have him shoot me!

The dry run was an absolute flop! The man that had to sound the alarm, forgot to do so as he had visitors from over-seas, so we all sat outside with our whistles and cell phones in hand, waiting for an alarm that never came. Eventually we got him on the phone, and then then alarm sounded!

The first thing I saw as I rounded the corner was my one ouk with brandy in one hand and gun in the other. He made the perfect target as he had taken his shirt off and was wearing a glow-in-the-dark nipple ring. Total chaos ensued, and I had two guys down my street who acted out every scene they had ever seen in a movie, they were ducking and weaving behind cars and bushes, and I sat on the corner hosing myself! I could do nothing, I was lame with laughter and had no legs.

After many a meeting we came up with something that worked for us, where we do use the whistles and only some people are aloud to go outside. I also encouraged the people not to sit in their houses, but to go for walks and bicycle rides so that we now have a busy 'hood. Visibility is key, and when we meet in the park, the word does spread that we are active. We don't have burglaries anymore, yet we remain vigilant.

I hope this helps. And you know what? Doing it for yourself is a lot of fun and it is empowering. We now know all our neighbours and the whole feel has changed. It is a really nice play to live.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (06-Jun-08)

Suspended
    Thanks
    that must have been duncan when his duvet fell off

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now I'm legless too.
    ...wearing a glow-in-the-dark nipple ring.
    There are some things you don't want to know about your neighbours.
    Last edited by Dave A; 06-Jun-08 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks
    I'm guessing he was an invited intruder....

Thanks
    You are so right -- I never specked the ouk in the same way again. I kept on wondering about the glow-in-the-dark issue? Why do you need that for? His wife seems dead normal, but though there are things you don't want to know,I like the new snug village feel.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i am working at one of the estates...i dont know how people can live on top of each other like that...if your neighbour forget to close the blinds...well i will leave that to your imagination...the other thing i noticed was all the vicious dogs...if you live in an estate with security what the big dogs for... your neighbiour??? i also noticed the amount of small children these places are like breeding gorunds...just an something i noticed i would watch the maids...with the kids...for two reasons the one child was less than a year old out in the sun at 12 midday...the poor kid looked like it was suffering from the heat but the maid was more concerned about sitting chatting to all the mates...and another child was screaming it lungs out and all the maids were tooo busy lying around on the grass to bothered with the kids...when my new kid arrives i will be installing cctv to monitor the maid with the child.

while on the subject of maids and children i once caught a maid breast feeding the owners child...hence the need for cctv...i am not going to devulge other things i have caught maids doing in the house while the owner is at work...just be careful of rubbing the maid up the wrong way...they have access to everything in your house.

Thanks
    The breast feeding is very worrying as so much can be passed onto the child through breast milk, I am talking life threatening disease here!! Perhaps you should be a good Samaritan and report this to the parents? I know this is hard, it is very very hard to get involved but just remember it might be your child one day God forbid.

I needed the laugh though, so thanks, I shall be very nice to my maid in future, we all appreciate the heads-up

Thanks
    I truly enjoyed reading this thread and must say that there are some very valuable information here. Alta I have a nabbing question, how did you end up in training with a sniper?
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Suspended
    Thanks

Talking

i found it very interresting to read your post about adt....
    here is a experience i had with chubb....
    in january of this year my husband went to the stock room in our business premises that is situated outside...to my surprise he came rushing in blurting that there has been a brake in.....to my surprise i asked
    why we where not notified as we do have a alarm in our stock room.....obviously....
    havin a look at the place whe found the door closed....but the windows open and in some way they managed theyre way into a small little hole.....
    upon enterring whe found that our alarm was still active......now ....
    long story short
    this must have happened over the weekend as whe found our stock room like this on the monday morning.whe had to phone chubb to ask them to come out...after 35 minutes they showed up,,,,,,dont even ask me how long the police took.....
    anyway
    my husband, obviously a bit angry by this time did inq about the alarm and if they recieved a open or close signal anytime over the weekend......
    and the security officer said: and i quoate " eish i don`t know man,you must phone tha office"
    completely frustrated my husband than proceeded to do so.....
    they sent a technisian out. very polite guy. went inside...stuffed around on a radio or something and then proceeded to say that our alarm is not connected to chubbs office so they wont recieve any type of signal....
    destress,open or closed....by now my husband was fuming.....
    once again phoning the chubb security company office
    my husband inq about the info that this tech has given to him and the call agent confirms.....whe paid 6 months on a security bill that never worked!!!!!
    so to rectify the situation the tech fixed the problem....and yes you guessed...whe were billed another R2500.000 to fix the problem that wasnt made by us in the first place....
    it is now june 2008
    i tried to phone their head office to speak to someone in charge to tell them that i will not be paying for someone elses incompetence...
    i recieved a letter of summons.....i wiped my bum with it.....
    i now have 4 boerboele in my yard
    they are doing one hell of a job better than chubb!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ouch! Reminds me to test our connectivity, although so far so good whenever I have tested it (touch wood).

I just got a notice from Chubb about their special increase to cover increased fuel costs. Another 10% increase on top of the normal inflation increment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.