Thread: Labour legislation and economic conditions taking its toll?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Labour legislation and economic conditions taking its toll?

We've been through a period of healthy economic growth, and yet employment has been oddly stagnant. Now, with tightening economic conditions, it seems the quest for employment has become even more difficult.
    Professor Tose waited at a set of traffic lights every day for three months before being offered a temporary job.

Eventually, on April 7, an elderly man picked him up to help him paint his Tamboerskloof home. Tose, 37, hasn't had a job since.

Things have become incredibly tough for the men waiting for work beside Cape Town's roads. On Monday a Hout Bay man collapsed and died on the pavement.
    full story from IOL here
    Yes. Times are tough. But how much has the cumulative effect of pretty business adverse labour legislation had over the years. I wonder if a more open policy would have led to more employment during the good years and perhaps even better economic growth?

Just how hesitant are business owners and managers to hire staff?

Thanks

Labour....

The govt policy has been to try and keep inflation down. Inflation is too much money chasing too few goods. But when you have an economy that under produces in many various forms the only way to keep those inflation figures down is to INCREASE unemployment levels.....

If over-inflated prices lead to increased inflation and inflated prices effectively means someone is being overpaid for what they have produced, I often wonder how much of an effect corruption / bribery / etc. has on the level of inflation....suppose we could look north for an indication...??

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I can't see that the labour regime was put in place to keep unemployment up (and therefor keep inflation down). Surely it is more an ideology of trying to get a better deal for the employed without paying too much mind to the downstream consequences.

Your point on this protectionism ultimately being inflationary is well made, sir. Add the efforts to keep inflation down and we start heading into that wonderful world of unintended consequences; essentially in this case, growing unemployment!

This is where I get frustrated. The efforts of one department is acting against the efforts of another. This lack of alignment due to different policies being developed by independent "feel good" factors without due consideration to an ultimate list of priorities is making the achievement of any of these wonderful ideals hard to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneymaker View Post
    I often wonder how much of an effect corruption / bribery / etc. has on the level of inflation
    If the key element is efficiency, I can't think of a more leveraged "inflater." Can you?

Thanks

Bribery and corruption

Nope, I certainly cant...

But I do wish I could get my share and have complete absolution if I got caught!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneymaker View Post
    But I do wish I could get my share and have complete absolution if I got caught!!
    You've moved to the wrong continent

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    You've moved to the wrong continent
    You are so right on that score!

The regulation and compliance issues for business, financial planning activities, etc. in Aus is likely to leave me depressed!

I know the SA regulators are looking at similar stuff in SA, my hope is that they don't over-regulate the industry as has happened here.....

PS - Wanna buy an RA....I have this really great 80 page Advice document plus this 100 page booklet / novel on the product to give you.....and in SA you can still sell the product without either......

But in the end if I ever get sued by a client; these documents (which no sane client will likely ever read) makes for a good paper trail....