Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ALEX - The New Frontier!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Now that sounds like a perfectly plausible cause to me.
    I would have guessed something along those lines, except I have not thought about the possibility of illegal businesses hiring illegal immigrants and exploiting them. Something else that I did think of is that a lot of these immigrants seem to have a relatively high level of education. Put a highly educated business owner up against an uneducated one and most times the educated guy is going to come out on top.

Or maybe these guys are just better business owners, and if you can't beat 'em, well....beat 'em.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would seem that this violence is giving gov serious food for thought.
    Two weeks of anti-foreigner violence in South Africa have highlighted the growing disconnect between a public impatient for change and a governing party that claims a divine right to rule.

Although there is little prospect of the African National Congress (ANC) losing next year's elections due to South Africa's almost one-party democracy, genuine signs of anger among the bedrock support of the black urban poor have emerged during the crisis in which 56 people have died.

Even ANC president Jacob Zuma, known for possessing a common touch notably absent in head of state Thabo Mbeki, received a nasty jolt on a visit to one of the affected areas last weekend.
    full story from M&G here
    At least that special task team seems to have got on with things.
    The recent xenophobic violence cannot be attributed to a single factor and is not necessarily the work of a so-called "third force", government spokesperson Themba Maseko said on Thursday.

Briefing the media following Wednesday's regular Cabinet meeting, he said the Cabinet had received a report from the special task team probing the issue, and the violence could not be attributed to a single cause.

Rather, it was the result of a complex set of factors.
    full story from M&G here
    I guess we can say there isn't one single cause, as long as we discount bad management

It does seem to be an accumulation of issues. But I wonder how much longer the ANC is going to be able to duck their responsibility in that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It does seem to be an accumulation of issues. But I wonder how much longer the ANC is going to be able to duck their responsibility in that.
    Using some (un)common sense we can probably name most of those issues,

• Unemployment
    • Poor service delivery
    • Large quantities of people crossing the border illegally
    • Poor handling of regional issues (i.e. Zimbabwe)
    • Education and skills training (qualified foreigners competing with unqualified locals)
    • Problematic home affairs department
    • Restrictive labour legislation (which I believe reduces employment opportunities - Dave has raised this a couple of times). This also makes it "desirable" to hire illegal foreigners who can't fall back on the law over legal residents.
    • Mismanagement of public funds (due to both corruption and lack of skills)

I really believe that the government is trying to fix these things (let's not turn this into a bash the gov thread), but they are issues that need to faced up to. Unfortunately there is a tendency to blame "third forces" rather than look in the mirror a bit.

Time to get your head out of the sand Mr President.
    Last edited by duncan drennan; 29-May-08 at 07:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd add pursuing conflicting priorities, poor planning, poor implementation, lack of foresight, intolerance to other ideas, bureaucracy, but that is quite a list already.
    Last edited by Dave A; 29-May-08 at 08:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.