Thread: A million gone in a decade.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

A million gone in a decade.

One million is a big number - I'm in shock.

One million white South Africans - almost a fifth - have left the country in the past ten years. This figure was released this week in a report from the South African Institute of Race Relations (SAIRR).

Frans Cronjé, who compiled the report, said it were especially crime and affirmative action which had driven a fifth of South Africa's white population out of the country.

The figures for 2005 put the number of white South Africans in the country at 4.3 million, 841 000 fewer than the 5.2 million of 1995.
    full story from Fin24 here

Gold Member
    Thanks
    These figures shocked me too! The social impact of this emigration is huge, apart from the economic impact that is.

I have already shed some tears just thinking that my teenagers might become part of these statistics - but is there an alternative for them?
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And the prospects of them coming back are not that hot either.
    Most of South Africa's experts in exile aren't prepared to return home, a study has shown.

A study by Research Surveys into what it calls "The 'Scatterlings' of (South) Africa" shows that only around one-third of those who have left SA "could realistically be expected to entertain the idea of returning".

----

Research Surveys says almost 50% of those living in Britain would consider returning, followed by 40% in Asia, the Middle East and other European countries.

Of those living in North America, only 20% indicate that they would consider returning.

Most distressing though is the revelation that a mere 9% of South Africans who have left for Australia and New Zealand say they'd consider returning to the land of their birth.

The key word here is "consider". The likelihood of a family uprooting itself for a second time to move to a country with a lower level of political stability is highly unlikely.
    full story from Fin24 here

Thanks
    I fully agree with the above thoughts.
    I have "lost" my two sons and it is sad.
    Linked to this is also the fact that it is not only the number of people but also the depletion of skills, which probably contributes greatly to the core discussion in this month's newsletter i.e. incompetance.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.