Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vodacom 3G sucks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Vodacom 3G sucks!

I must be a sucker for punishment. Two years ago I went through a whole drama with Vodacom 3G. Eventually, I got the equipment functional if not at particularly impressive speeds.

Now I've renewed my contract and it looks like I'm going to go through all the pain again of getting the new equipment up to reasonable speeds. The default installation certainly blows big time. Disconnects. Hanging programs. Slow throughput.

Suspended
    Thanks
    think yourself lucky you are not with virgin mobile...they dont even advanced to 3 g yet...and my contract is almost up and they still havent got my billing right yet.

Thanks
    Speed hasn't been my main issue, but the disconnects.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have made a decision today to go back to mtn with immediate effect...i will notify all my customers via sms in a short while...i had a call from another customer today complaining about having to call me 5 times before they can get through...apparently my phone makes 3 beeps then goes dead...it has something to do with the port from mtn to virgin...anyway time to move forward.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I must be a sucker for punishment. Two years ago I went through a whole drama with Vodacom 3G. Eventually, I got the equipment functional if not at particularly impressive speeds.

Now I've renewed my contract and it looks like I'm going to go through all the pain again of getting the new equipment up to reasonable speeds. The default installation certainly blows big time. Disconnects. Hanging programs. Slow throughput.

Hi,

Even though I absolutely hate Vodacom, and there is nothing in the world that will change my mind about them, I might be able to help you out a bit with your issues. You see, some monkey at Vodacom/Vodafone decided that having their logo on the connection software was more important than delivering a reliable service. So they decided to create a software package that "works" with all the datacards available on their contracts. What I did in the past (before I told them to take a taxi) was to uninstall that crappy software they give with the datacard, and install the software supplied by the manufacturer.

Chances are you've got some sort of Huawei or Option device, and you will be able to get the connection software from their websites. It's quite a big download, but it will save you lots and lots of frustration. If you are unable to find the correct file to download, post your manufacturer and model number of the datacard and I'll try to assist you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    At this point I'll try nearly anything. I've got the Huawei E220. I did a search for Huawei E220 drivers, but didn't find anything that looked like the business. So a link would prove very useful, thanks.

Thanks

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (29-Jun-08)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have been quite persistent in following this through with Vodacom, and finally after doing pretty much everything they have asked of me which feels like it wasn't much short of reformatting my hard drive, they have acknowledged that the problem looks like it might be too many subscribers connected by 3G to the tower I happen to connect to.

It was an amazing deduction that I find hard to believe is news to them.

It didn't take any rocket science to figure this out from my end. I happen to live in a residential area. When the residents are out at work or sleeping, things fly. When they're doing the evening cruise of the internet, things crawl in the 0-5Kbps range. If it was hardware, firmware, software, signal quality, firewalls, anti-virus programs, malicious scripts, cookies, DNS caches etc. one might have expected the problem to be a little less peak traffic time sensitive.

Apparently, if there are too many people logged in and active at once, the service "contracts." That would be corporate bullshit for having more paying customers trying to suck on more production than you can physically supply.

Something like the Eskom problem, you could say. Except you don't get charged for the electricity you cannot suck.

Thanks
    They are actually admitting to something thats been stuffed the past year? I live in Midrand, and the general area including areas as far north as Gezina (sorry if my spelling is wrong) in PTA have had issues for months. Quite a few of my colleagues have switched to ADSL even though they still have to finish paying their 3G contracts for the remainder of the 24 months.

Vodacom persistently makes their users look like idiots by wanting to go through all the "settings". And then after weeks, they say something like the network is currently busy, or the technicians are working on the problem.

It really sucks that these fat cats keep getting away with giving the consumer a raw deal. Shame on you Vodacom!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To some extent, this is almost becoming ludicrous.

My fault report was escalated, and now I'm getting a steady stream of phonecalls from different people at Vodacom saying they are looking into the capacity problem. This one has clearly jumped the standard fault handling rails, but it seems to be landing all over the shop now.

The upside of all this attention is it might lead to a better service in the area one day, I guess. But right now I'm also wondering if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

New territory I guess

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast