Thread: ANC starts attack on Zille.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

ANC starts attack on Zille.

The ANC has started the process of removing the executive mayoral system in Cape Town. Their claimed reasons:
    A desire to see an inclusive government in the city that "worked for all communities equally".

The MEC's preference for a "stable government representing 91 percent of the electorate instead of the current system only representing 51 percent of the electorate".

"The desire to see a city characterised by extraordinary unity and collective leadership."

"The importance of the 2010 soccer World Cup for the city and the need for stability in the lead-up to this important event for the city, the province, country and the continent.

"The MEC's consideration for changing the type of municipality in the city is done with the interest of the people of Cape Town in mind and not against a party or individual,"
    full story from IOL here
    What a crock.

Thanks
    I second that!!!
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It seems the ANC charge on Cape Town is struggling...

The ANC's plot to try to seize power in Cape Town is looking shaky as senior party officials quietly raise red flags over plans to change the system of governance.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a top official at the ANC's head office in Luthuli House, Johannesburg, said: "More and more, we are becoming uncomfortable that the concept of our constitutional democracy is being perceived to be undermined by this attempt to grasp power in Cape Town."
    full story from IOL here
    Apparently there is also a precedent from 2002 where the ANC might get a taste of their own medicine.

I still think if proportional representation is "needed" in Cape Town, it needs to be implimented in all municipalities.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And finally Sydney Mufamadi steps in to save the day.

Cape Town mayor Helen Zille and provincial Local Government and Housing Minister Richard Dyantyi have reached a compromise over the future of the city government in the Mother City, it was announced at a press conference called by national Provincial and Local Government Minister Sydney Mufamadi at Parliament on Tuesday.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    From what I remember of Sydney when he was up "in charge??" of something (If I recall Housing?) in Gauteng, he could not save a second never mind a day.

They had no choice but to "make this go away" - Zille is left in charge again. Obed and Metro Mike in Durban and the Jhb Gang breathe again.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.