Thread: Bloemfontein deserves a better airport

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bloemfontein deserves a better airport

For some reason, whenever I have been to Bloemfontein in the past, it has always been by road. Yesterday was the first time I've flown in. Boy oh boy, they really deserve a better airport!

To describe the passenger areas as little more than a security gate with a room on each side would only be stretching the truth of it marginally. I see that the groundwork has started on a new terminal building, but it is hard to believe that something was not done to expand the facilities quite some time ago.

Do so few people fly in and out of Bloem?
    Or maybe people choose not to fly because of the limited facilities and flights?

It certainly had me wondering about the chicken and the egg.

Thanks
    Didn't realise people still went to Bloem!!

I lived there in a previous life for two years and it was a sleepy hollow then. Has anything happened to change it and create a need for an airport that has its own terminal building?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When last were you there, Marq? It's come along quite nicely, I think.

There are quite a few new shopping malls and the business people I speak to seem to be doing alright. I particularly like The Waterfront now that it is finished.

There are two things that really had me wondering about that airport, though.

First - Bloemfontein is still the judicial capital of South Africa, I think. Certainly, there must be a fair number of legal folk flying in on day trips for appeals and the like?

Second - It's one of the major sports centres of South Africa. The Sharks must charter their own plane to play in Bloem. So must the Cheetahs to play elsewhere come to think of it. Then for the internationals - surely they need to cater for international spectators.

It just was so surprising.

It's also one of the most expensive SA cities to fly to

Thanks
    I moved out in 1993. It was a little dorp for me, having come from Jhb, and did not seem to have many prospects at that time.

I guess the whole country has burst out of its seams since then and I still see the old city as one with; one nightspot a few hotels and restaurants and a place where everybody went to sleep at 20h00.

I also remember David Kramers song that went
    Bloemfontein...Bloemfontein....
    The Kak&%t place that I've ever been.

I am also biased as this was a period where I saw my financial ring and it took me seven years to get into the black again.

SAA also sees it as out of their way which is the reason it is so expensive. I used to catch the 'milk' plane (the one that went all round the country before it got to its destination) just to get down to Cape Town or Durban. Its also the reason that the terminal buildings and infrastructure have been ignored.

You could add to your list of positives, the University flow of people as they used to have one of the best educational spots in the country - however with that latest stunt there, I wonder what it has been up to lately.

The Army was also one of the biggest contingents there who created their own village and social circles - with the downgrading and sizing of the defence force, I suppose a new growth happened from other circles.

Ah... the cycles of life.