Thread: Smoking to be stubbed out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smoking to be stubbed out.

It seems the noose is tightening. This story from IOL.
    South Africa is one step closer to tightening up its already tough smoking laws, which health department officials say will effectively criminalise smoking.

The Tobacco Products Control Amendment Bill was tabled in parliament on Wednesday and is likely to be on the statute books by year-end.

It will bring in massive fines and tighten up loopholes in existing legislation.

Among others, it bans the entry of anyone under 18 into smoking areas.

It also gives the health minister the right to prohibit the smoking of any tobacco product in a any prescribed outdoor place "where persons are likely to congregate within close proximity of one another or where smoking may pose a fire or other hazard".

----

The Bill increased penalties so that they would become a real deterrent against contravention of the country's tobacco laws.

The fine for the owner of a public place or employer who failed to ensure that there was no smoking in a smoke-free area had been increased from R200 to a minimum of R20 000, he said.

The penalty for selling tobacco products to a minor and for failure to comply with regulations on vending machines had been increased from R10 000 to a minimum of R100 000, Mngadi said.

The penalty for advertising and giving away free cigarettes had been increased from R200 000 to a minimum of R1-million.

The Bill also makes it an offence for an individual to smoke in a non-smoking area and the penalty is set at not less than R300.

Mngadi said the proposed penalties were comparable to those in other legislation.

He noted that the fine for selling liquor to a person under 18 was R1-million or five years in prison.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    As a smoker - this just irritates me! I pay taxes, more than most, because those fags are heavily taxed. I respect those around me at all times, don't treat us smokers like second rate citizens. This is just another form of discrimination! I will not frequent a restaurant that does not allow for my vice. How about they ban alcohol at all restaurants and open air meetings? Hah!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Hell i agree with you Debbie, its really funny that the laws around smoking tobacco are getting tighter and tighter. Now if you caught smoking dope you will get off with a lighter sentence than smoking tobacco. As for the alcohol story i don't even want to get started on that.
    The tobacco police are going to be really busy in the future.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Well as a non smoker, I can sy that I am happy that at last I can excersise my right to breathe clean air. It is as well that I was not a biochemists or I might have GMO ed the crop to make it impossible to use!

I have long believed that there shoulsd have been a tax imposed for a special fire fighting unit to combat veld fires from butts that get discarded indescrimnately out of car windows and view sites etc.

The problem is that the bastards that are importiong and selling blackmarked smokes are escaping the tax. There should be a laws and penaltys in place that should discourage those idiots that are providing cheepers fags to the public!

Roll on legislation
    mark e

Thanks
    Blah blah,
    Take it from where it comes !
    An out of control crime rate, no death penalty, prisoners with democratic rights.
    The High ranking officials, who can suggest that taking a shower after sex will not expose you to aids, or maybe just eat beetroot!
    The taxes bring in millions of rands, which the country can not do without.
    Surely, a smoker has rights too,or is discrimination still OK when it suits some!

Thanks
    Ok... I am not a smoker either but Chris or should I say "Shrek" is right !!!
    An out of control crime rate, no death penalty, prisoners with democratic rights.
    The High ranking officials, who can suggest that taking a shower after sex will not expose you to aids, or maybe just eat beetroot!
    The taxes bring in millions of rands, which the country can not do without.
    Surely, a smoker has rights too,or is discrimination still OK when it suits some!
    ..."they" should be bothering their heads about stuff that really matters..
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.