Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technical tips on blogging

Email problem
    Thanks
    Oh and how can I forget, amatomu is brilliant but becoming something like Alexa rank which has so many people it kills the chances of you site being viewed by users rather than networks. Also look at afrigator.co.za, nice African aggregator similar to Amatomu.

There is another one, but it has slipped my mind.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I see you fast onto the ball. The next step would be to politely ask people to add it. So in a place closer to where readers read, have a little message - 'Like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.'

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (08-May-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the ideas, Seagyn.

Email problem
    Thanks
    More than a pleasure. Funnily I came upon this website when I was seeing how low my forum dropped after an upgrade. Talk about luck. Really enjoy some of the discussions.

So when are you looking at putting up a WordPress site? The new WordPress is amazing, the features are so far ahead of any OS CMS I have ever seen and played with.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to load Wordpress on my-business-machine.com when I get a chance to get round to it. I'm also keeping an eye on Blogger's new beta features before I commit as to where the blog will end up, though.

I've also been testing Joomla as a CMS elsewhere, so the Joomla-Wordpress comparison should also be interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'm going to load Wordpress on my-business-machine.com when I get a chance to get round to it. I'm also keeping an eye on Blogger's new beta features before I commit as to where the blog will end up, though.
    I've been thinking about moving my blog to Wordpress and hosting it myself for a while now. Wordpress offers quite a bit more adaptability with all the various add-ons, and is a high quality blogging platform. Blogger is probably a little bit more difficult (although, maybe not?) to customise and add things to.

The big advantage of Blogger (and this is probably why I will stick with it for the foreseeable future) is that I don't have to maintain (or worry about) the servers. If I have a readership of 10000 people a day, it is not going to cause me any sleepless nights (although if that was the case I would probably be so excited that I wouldn't be sleeping ). I did not have to worry about setting up spam filters and don't have to worry about upgrading software (and all the issues that come with that).

For me, the thought of worrying about servers, upgrades, spammers, and so on overwhelms the desire to move from Blogger. At this stage I don't see any compelling reason to move, so I'm saving myself the grey hairs, and focussing on the writing rather.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    My blog for the printshop is a wordpress blog. I have just updated my signature and there should be a link. I just need to make the time to write more as it does help with business. It is hosted on my website and I haven't hit the limits of Hetzner yet.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Having your own domain is critical for a brand.

I would take WordPress over Joomla! any day, and that from a person who has designed themes for both.

WordPress has a huge community behind it and is probably the most used blogging software out there.

Upgrading WordPress is not a huge thing, just upload and over write the files and then your done. Then most web hosts should worry about the server not you unless your website has affected the server.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagyn Davis View Post
    Then most web hosts should worry about the server not you unless your website has affected the server.
    That can be a concern at times. In the power of international on the internet I mention Peas on toast which went from a couple of hundred uniques a day to over 25000 in 24 hours. I suspect that many shared hosting packages would throw up the white flag and crumble.

Email problem
    Thanks
    WordPress has a few plugins that make website run on WordPress on any server very scalable. Charl Norman wrote an article about it. Will find it and put it up here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast