I've been toying with adding Google Adsense to my blog, but that raises a bunch of issues, and I thought there might be some people here who would like to discuss it.

Now I really don't know too much about adsense and their policies (although I started reading through them today). My knowledge of adsense is pretty much display text ads on your site and get paid per click (although I see some are also pay per view).

I've read in their policies that you are strictly not allowed to click on your own ads, or do anything to encourage people to click on them.

More importantly than the exact mechanics is the whole issue of whether I should put ads on my blog. Does it help me to achieve my goal, or is it just monetising the site? I'll probably put it on for a while as an experiment, and see how I feel about it.

I'll most likely put the ads between the blog posts. I know there is lots about eye maps and so on, but the ads are secondary to the content, and having them at the end of a post provides the user with something to do once they are finished reading (if they didn't finish reading I didn't really achieve my main goal).

The other thing is that I could look at more local advertising by using Traffic Synergy.

So, what are your thoughts (and questions) on Adsense (and other advertising) on a blog or website?