Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Load shedding set to resume today?

Thanks
    Cees Bruggemans makes this comment,

Why not use the oldest, most efficient optimizing model invented by mankind, which allocates marginal resources according to marginal cost and does so efficiently economy-wide?

Eskom needs a doubling in cash flow to undertake all the new expansion, maintenance and emergency measures, and a durable 10% cut in electricity demand.

So double the electricity tariff on 1 April, with a five-year phase-in for strategic electricity users (mines, hospitals, and not forgetting the Union buildings where the midnight oil must be burning furiously).

Most electricity users would intelligently decide to cut their electricity usage. It would be in their economic self-interest to do so. There should be minimal economic dislocation as all of us would adapt to the new tariffs in the best ways that suit us individually.

And the political cost? It could well be the lowest cost option of all, being predictable, transparent and adaptable. But it would all be very upfront and visible.

It would be a political gamble. But any more costly than the serial mayhem now being dished out and fooling no one? Not likely.
    Personally I've become more and more convinced that his train of thought is correct. The only way to curb electricity consumption across the board is to significantly increase the price. Yes, people will feel that pinch, but at the same time it highly incentivises change in usage.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has this worked with fuel costs?

I appreciate reduced consumption has not been a strategic objective - it's been a supply and demand situation in a fairly open market.

But are we seeing more lift clubs or are there just as many "one person on board" vehicles out on our roads?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    But are we seeing more lift clubs or are there just as many "one person on board" vehicles out on our roads?
    Valid point you have there Mr Alcock. I wonder how the culture around cars differs from that around electricity (if at all).

Do you think that companies have developed strategies to deal with rising fuel costs? e.g. better route planning for deliveries
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hrm so far nothing yet my side... haven had load shedding for a month now.

I have a section also for this guys...
    wellinformed.co.za
    It's constantly being updated. Those of you interested.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    So this is Africa time ... they (Eskom) specify that "regular" load-shedding (excuse the pun) will happen from Monday this week (that's now Mar 3). Our area (Sandton) was scheduled for 06h00 to 10h00 each day. Then nothing happens, just as everyone starts believing it's not necessary to modify your work times ... today we're given a "nice" surprise at 09h00 for a 2 hour break!

So, it seems to be back to the "good-old-days" of January! No-one knows when or where the next t_rd is going to hit the fan, not even Eish-Kom.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't seem to be as wide spread as previously, but it seems load shedding is still happening.

I think if I had to use a single word to describe South African culture, it would be extreme. We seem to be either totally indifferent or absolutely outraged - and often times at exactly the opposite moment of the appropriate time to feel either way.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    at least we live exciting lives
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    "May you have an exciting life" is actually a Chinese curse.

Thanks
    OK I think I understand what Eskom meant by "regular" now: "Load Shedding may be done at any time within the specified times and continue for varying lengths thereafter."

This translates to: scheduled time for Sandton 06:00 to 10:00 equals cut at 9h03 to 11:05, then 12:13 to 12:15, then 12:45 to 12:46. That's what happened last Friday. I'm not sure how much power "saving" this caused. Using common sense it probably used much more power because everything had 3 start-ups for those minuscule off-times.

Then this morning we get a cut at 10:47 to 10:52. Nothing before, so the above theory is moot as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. That might not be Eskom load-shedding. That sounds like something's gone faulty on the distribution network.

Did anyone else see that Carte Blanche segment on the copper theft problem?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast