Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The changing face of marketing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK - no new thread so let's derail this one properly.

Product - financial software
    Target - business owners, managers.

Apart from the thoughts above, I'd also think "inside the box" (just for a change) and get it on retail shelves. Makro, Incredible Connection - where else?

If your box is the right size, it's really cheap advertising and you might even make some money selling the box. Why else does Nortons, Microsoft et al have boxed product on the shelves when the product can be delivered online? Free marketing exposure!

Next thought - Send demos to accountancy companies. If one shows interest from a reasonably reputable firm - go the whole nine yards to impress. Nothing like an accountant's endorsement - you could even mention him/her them on the box

Thanks
    Oh, thank you again! It does make sense -- a box!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah - In the minds of the masses, only cheap and nasty software comes in a jewel case. And online there is this "there must be a free source" mentality if you dare to charge.

Thanks
    Hi Dave,
    That made me laugh out loud! Talking about jewel cases, Mothers Day is coming up, so I don;t think the masses will frown on that type o box on that day of the year! Make it count boys!

Yes, they do always want something for free, but if you think about it, it is usually a demo version on offer and I have no problem with it per sae, but these demo versions can ruin your rep as you have an untrained end-user trying to eval. your system.

I have been thinking about giving mass presentations of the software as well, but you know people have so little time that you need to create a hype beforehand. So you have to host a golf day ( which incidentally stand for gentleman only ladies forbidden) and then have a presentation afterwards. I think marketing and entertainment should go hand in hand these days as people like us don;t have time to socialize just for the sake of relaxing.

I would of course prefer having a tennis day with strawb and cream, as I broke my foot playing friggin put-put, so I don;t handle a club very well.

Sorry for my scant participation but my dad is fighting for his life in hospital, so time is more of a problem than usual.

Email problem
    Thanks
    The answer - Social Marketing.

Duncan touched on it - what if your product touches a person so much that they just speak about it?

Case in point - I am a car fanatic, to be precise a race car fanatic. I had a stand at the Gauteng Motor Show and took time off to go see the other stands and chat to a few people I know. At the time I was with a good friend and a car enthusiast (built the fastest Cobra in South Africa) and we went to one of the most renound car tuners in the country, bear with me now. He had a BMW M3 on display and promptly came up to us to chat about the car (it was not standard at all). He then went through what he had done, what he can do, what he is planning to do etc. knowing that as much as he tells us and 'sells' his product to us, my friend and I would most probably do it ourselves anyway.

BUT (a big but)

By the end of the day, and without realising it, I had told about 20 people and each of those people maybe told 5 people reaching an audience of 100 people just from 1 guy.

Great marketing strategy.

This guy is the owner of the store with enough money to pay 10 marketers/sales reps to sit at the stand and sell his company but knowing that if he as the owner sits there and markets his passion, then it will strike a greater nerve than anyone else.

Online applications - create applications that people can interact on, both potential and exisiting clients, which in turn promotes the product and actually gets people to get more info on it. One of the best marketing strategy I have experienced was for the Toyota Auris. You could actually play a game online, compete against 1000's of other people whilst racing an Auris around. Then after you raced around, you can go into the garage (on the game), change the colours of the Auris, check the stats of the range and head straight back into the game where it would hit you with more Auris subliminal messages.

The bottom line is that its not about putting your name on 20 meter build boards, having R10 000 Google AdWords budgets, its about allowing the customer to interact with the brand and feel as if they are getting something in return - I have read that bit from Seth Godin.

In terms of promoting software, Dave A, hit a very valuable point there. Millers, (SAB), give certain clubs/bars a fridge full of Millers for free if they only have that fridge full of Millers. In your face advertising and great incentive for the owners of the clubs.

Also a good way to promote software is online demos/downloadable demos or like was said a free demo in a jewel case. I for one really want to see what the product is capable of before I actually use it and to be brutally honest without knowing to much about your product, is that it should be self explanatory. A demo and full version should show you exactly what to do and the demo should clearly define that you can access this feature when you buy the full version.

Hopes this sets you in the right direction?
    Last edited by Seagyn Davis; 08-May-08 at 12:30 AM.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Alta Murray (27-May-08)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Great thread,

Thanks for those useful tips... Hope these will be very helpful. I will surely implement these in my marketing strategies... Will come back for more....
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-May-08 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks
    Remember I said I just had a feeling there is a new way of markering out there? Yes, oh yes, I have found it! I know so little about marketing that it might have been done before but I doubt it.

Also Dave, off topic, I have a daughter in Matric and you know what the Boerewors Gordyn kids do after matric, they flock down your way. Is Durban safe? Which areas can one look at?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    I have a daughter in Matric and you know what the Boerewors Gordyn kids do after matric, they flock down your way. Is Durban safe? Which areas can one look at?
    Alta
    My youngest daughter is also in matric and going down with friends to Umhlanga for her holiday. She is going with 5 other girls in her school, they are flying down and then will get a taxi. I know she has a good head on her and shouldn't get into trouble, but she is responsible and has had to save for the spending money.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

10. Thanks given for this post:

Alta Murray (18-Jun-08)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ja, I too find that South Africans have short memories and one has to keep plugging services/or products in their faces before they actually take any notice. If you don't visit/call often enough, they simply grab whoever is available at the time, fall on their bekke when things go badly, then call you to complain. But they definitely do need to be reminded often and always. Sefricans for you!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Remember I said I just had a feeling there is a new way of markering out there? Yes, oh yes, I have found it! I know so little about marketing that it might have been done before but I doubt it.
    I hope when the time is right, you will share it
    Is Durban safe? Which areas can one look at?
    The main danger for that particular migration might not be the locals.

Ian's right. Umhlanga Rocks is "safe." Probably the highest risk area would be Durban central beach front or isolated beachfront areas.
    Last edited by Dave A; 18-Jun-08 at 04:18 PM.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Alta Murray (19-Jun-08)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast