Thread: No whites allowed!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

No whites allowed!

It had to come. Sooner or later the convenient corruption of our constitution to allow for "fair" racial discrimination was going to blow up as an issue.
    The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is to hold a public forum on complaints of racial prejudice against the Forum of Black Journalists (FBJ) and the issue of exclusive organisations.

This stems from last Friday's controversial FBJ meeting addressed by African National Congress president Jacob Zuma in Johannesburg.

"Following a complaint on the exclusion of white journalists from attending a Forum of Black Journalists' meeting ... the South African Human Rights Commission today [Monday] decided to convene a public forum in order to interrogate the issue of exclusive organisations and the complaint in question," the commission said on Monday.

Because the issues raised by the complaint were very complex, the commission believed an open forum would create both the space and enabling environment for a full and proper ventilation of the issues before it.

Both the complainant, Talk Radio 702 news editor Katy Katapodis, and the respondent, FBJ steering committee chairperosn Abbey Makoe, had indicated a willingness to attend and participate at this forum.

The event would take place on March 5 at the SAHRC head office in Parktown, Johannesburg, the commission said.

Earlier on Monday, Primedia Broadcasting group head of news and talk programming Yusuf Abramjee and Talk Radio 702/567 host Kieno Kammies also laid formal complaints of discrimination with the SAHRC.

In a letter to SAHRC chairperson Jody Kollapen, Abramjee and Kammies said they attended the FBJ meeting on Friday, and raised their objections to the fact that the meeting excluded white journalists.

This was discriminatory and went against the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.

"After we walked out in solidarity with our white colleagues who were ordered out and those who were excluded, we were referred to as 'coconuts' -- 'black on the outside and white on the inside'."

A report by Chris Bathembu in the Citizen newspaper on Monday confirmed this. He was in the meeting.

This was also reported in the Rapport newspaper on Sunday.

"We are told that Jon Qwelane was one of the people who used this term," they wrote.

"We are of the view that the term 'coconut' is not only insulting, but discriminatory.

"It was clearly used in a racial context and this is totally unacceptable and is meant to demean.

"We hereby lodge a formal complaint with the SAHRC and we will appreciate it if the commission can investigate this matter and make a finding as part of its investigation into the FBJ meeting and the complaint lodged by our colleague, Katy Katopodis," the two said.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    hmmm, I've always thought of BEE along the lines of a reversal on the old apartheid, but for a clear vision and to allow for someone with skills to get a job easier(ie, fair to an extent). this is just blind and ignorant.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've now read a number of different reports on this story.

I find many of the opinions quite bizarre - at least to me. I also find it rather ironic that it should have blown up in the profession of journalism, where there is so much pride in critical thinking. I'm seeing some pretty screwed up paradigms at work here.

But ultimately I'm waiting for the signs to start coming. They're going to make for some memorable photography.

Thanks
    I know my opinion is probably driven by just being plain tired of all the noise being made about racism. To be honest. I do not care if they wanted only black journalists to attend this forum. I do not care if 702 makes such a noise about it. It means absolutely nothing to me.

For the last couple of days I have been listening to opinions on 702 about this issue and I cannot help but to wonder, how people expect things to be different. Everywhere people are browning their pants if anything happens that excludes them. Everywhere everyone is so sensitive about what their skin color is. It seems to be such an important issue that 2 days worth of headlines and news are being dominated by one institution that wanted only black people to attend their forum.

What makes it such a news worthy event? Well it seems that everyone is so focused on the "right" things that needs to be done that they want to engage in a full out war every time people act in a way that is regarded as "unconstitutional" Sigh, so these white reporters, what were they doing at this forum if they knew it was for blacks only? They were looking for the sensation. The sensation of broadcasting to a sensitive South Africa that whites are being excluded. Being so insecure about who they are that they expect everyone in the country to see them as grey.

Dammit, when were the last time you looked in the mirror guys? We are different, we have different skin colors, different upbringing, different moral values, all of us are different in a way, and these differences is what makes us human beings, the whole world doesn't evolve around skin color! If people wants certain people that have something in common to meet, surely they can do so! Why should we care? Why on earth should a couple of days be wasted on airtime to debate if this is right or wrong?

I am so tired of this twisted country, so much energy is wasted on prooving that we are not different. That we all have the right to but into other people's business and we do that to feel less insecure about ourselves.

Stephen Grootes and his gang was never supposed to be there in the first place! They were not welcome and they knew that. Jumping on their high horses they went looking for the sensation and that is exactly what they found.

Are we as South Africans still so shallow as to chase every single issue that includes racial exclusion with so much passion? Are we so insecure about ourselves that we require to be wanted by people that wish to exclude us? Why is it so important to us that one racist institution that requires approval from others that have something in common with themselves.

I say, let this racist institution be. If that is what they need to do to make themselves feel part of something so be it. Let them carry on in their color blind roads, it means nothing to me. Absolutely nothing. It doesn't degrade me as a human being because I am painted a certain color and it certainly change me as a person because I am different or the same than others in certain aspects. I know I am completely different from everybody else in the world, because I am who I am, I am what I am. Who cares what others have to do to feel important or part of society. I certainly do not care, it is their lives, what right do I have to dictate what they should do with their racists beliefs. As little right as they have to dictate my life and interfere with my life.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What slays me is they can't see the hypocrisy - and I mean both sides of the argument.

If you can have a BJF, then surely you can have a WJF - and just watch the howls of protest if ever one was formed.

Then we have the very complainants themselves
    Grootes said he was all for an organisation comprising only black journalists. "The forum should exist, I understand the need for it ... for me the issue was Zuma," he said.

When asked why he had entered the venue knowing it was for black journalists only, he said: "I didn't think they would go through with it ... it was wrong for them to deny us access to the hottest news ticket in town because of race."
    So a BJF for black journalists only is OK - but he still wants in the door?

Thanks
    As long as the government allows organisations based on race there will be problems as only 1 race (blacks) are allowed to do this. So it will always be convoluted.
    The answer is????
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks

Human Rights Commission on claims by Forum for Black Journalists

SAHRC rejects claims by the Forum for Black Journalists

9 April 2008

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) refutes mischievous and untruthful claims by the Forum for Black Journalist (FBJ) steering committee chairperson Abbey Makoe that: its finding against the FBJ represents a judicial ambush; it only dawned on them that the commission had dealt with the complaint against them through its legal procedures only on 4 April; and was deliberately lulled into a false sense of expectation by the Commission chairperson.

Mr Makoe has conveniently omitted to share with the public that on 4 March the commission wrote to him to request a substantive response to the complaint against his organisation and that such a response should have reached it by no later than 18 March as the panel discussion was not intended to be a substitute for the commission's normal complaint handling procedures.

When there was no response coming from him, the Commission wrote him letter on 17 March, to which he also did not reply. Clearly, it stands to reason that Mr Makoe and his organisation were indeed given sufficient opportunity to respond to the complaint against them.

The Commission further rejects assertions that it has in effect banned the FBJ and that its finding criminalised blackness. The FBJ can continue in its activities but should so within the parameters of the Equality Act which provides that the exclusion of particular people solely on the basis of race is prohibited.

In its finding the Commission maintained that the FBJ should amend the provisions of its Constitution which relates to membership, thereby opening membership to all races subject to the proviso that any person who chooses to become a member of the FBJ should subscribe to their principles and be committed to the advancement and empowerment of black journalists.

In addition the Commission rejects suggestions that it is opposed to the advancement of the disadvantaged though programmes such black economic empowerment and affirmative action. The Commission urges the South African public to engage with its finding.

More...
    Last edited by Dave A; 08-May-08 at 04:29 PM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    just something to think about...the only reason we are different colours is because of the climate we are supose to live...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I Robot View Post
    The FBJ can continue in its activities but should so within the parameters of the Equality Act which provides that the exclusion of particular people solely on the basis of race is prohibited.
    The catch been solely? Does that mean race and something else is OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by I Robot View Post
    In its finding the Commission maintained that the FBJ should amend the provisions of its Constitution which relates to membership, thereby opening membership to all races subject to the proviso that any person who chooses to become a member of the FBJ should subscribe to their principles and be committed to the advancement and empowerment of black journalists.

In addition the Commission rejects suggestions that it is opposed to the advancement of the disadvantaged though programmes such black economic empowerment and affirmative action.
    Double

Oh. Maybe I get it now. You can't exclude but you can promote on racial criteria.

Nope. I think I lost the plot again