Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gaming leads to real-world business skills?

Thanks

gaming leads to real-world business skills?

gaming leads to real-world business skills?

as much as it helps, I'm sure being able to clock in time on World of Warcraft won't be a major focal point on a CV...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    I'm sure being able to clock in time on World of Warcraft won't be a major focal point on a CV...

The whole value of gaming has seen an interesting evolution, I think.

At first it was considered a waste of time, then it improved co-ordination, now it improves business skills? What else might be coming?

And what kind of reality are cheats teaching?

I'll grant this - many modern games probably boost problem solving skills.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

I'll grant this - many modern games probably boost problem solving skills.
    Which I would guess is a valued commodity amongst the managers... the ability to solve a problem is highly valuable.

Thanks
    Cheats are cool in the sense that it teaches you to cut corners, not exactly illegal or immoral, but it shows initiative, and you will need to cut corners if you want to make it in the business world.

But then with two kids I might have been brain washed.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    Cheats are cool in the sense that it teaches you to cut corners, not exactly illegal or immoral, but it shows initiative, and you will need to cut corners if you want to make it in the business world.

But then with two kids I might have been brain washed.....
    well, I don't know about cutting corners. generally if you cut corners, it's going to hurt you in the long run. don't bother to check that a cell number already exists in a database may save time, but in the long run that may come back to bite you (Especially where that Cell Number is used as a check later on). Plus with a game the consequences of your actions aren't really hard-felt... they don't affect you too much. After all, it's only a game. Besides, half the fun is the struggle. If you're going to compare using cheats to anything, it'll be an understanding of information, and the ability to use resources to achieve a final goal... running at police with a chainsaw while the bullets deflect uselessly off of your skin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    you will need to cut corners if you want to make it in the business world.
    Oooh. You're so lucky I don't have the time to rise to that just at the moment.

Maybe later

Thanks
    As a gamer you should know which corners to cut! Some will come back to haunt you, yes, only if you are stupid,but if you want to go round every little corner in life, just in case you might miss something, you will be one of the herd.

Yet I advocate prudence and common sense and using your IQ!

Thanks
    Ha! That made me laugh out loud Dave.

Please don't misunderstand, I am advocating finding the shortest practical route to your end destination. Get off the beaten track, and you will find yourself cutting corners. By a better education you get to cut corners as you don;t have to pay the inherent school fees by learning via experience, you can cut a corner just by evaluating information, you can cut corners just by using common sense. Just because everyone has done it in a certain way before, does not mean it is the best way, you can find a shorter route.

Yeah, that kind of corners Dave. Pin your ears to your head and go. Am I not cutting corners by doing a Budget in a new way? Of course I am, and it is based on valid information and you get to take your thumb out of your mouth, you even cut that corner too.

Form follows function and if that means I cut off extra fluff, get to keep my morals intact and remain within the law, and I am not hurting but helping, no force on the face of this earth will get me round that little corner. The inside track is a nice place to find.

I have to add that I, once on top of a mountain, decided to 'cut a corner' Just because no one had ever skied barefoot down the slope of the mountain before does not mean that it can not be done. I had rolling pebbles that I could use to my advantage, and with years of dancing a keen sense of balance. That was an equation I could believe in.

What I couldn't believe was that I sustained a fractured coccyx and that I had to couch netbal sitting on an inflated medical device. The lesson -- some corners you don't cut. And may you have the common sense to make the call.

Thanks
    hmmm, If I were to come up with some sort of life experience that could equate to cheating, I'd think along the lines of maybe not paying taxes or monopolising something. when you consider what a cheat is supposed to do in a game, the sole purpose is to put you at an advantage you otherwise would need intense skill to achieve, or cannot achieve. You are causing the game to deviate from the original creator's intention. Mind you, if you do think about it seriously, the fact that a cheat code was created and has been distributed to "help" in some way could be taken into account. however, save file modding and character mods could be considered as the unfair advantage type. That is there solely to increase your ability in a game, against the creator's intentions.

I personally believe that your achievement in games is made through your choices. These choices don't require the help of cheats, through experience you learn the shortcuts you can take, without having to break the gaming laws set forth when created. cheating could be considered illegal (if an organiser catches you using cheats in a LAN game, do they just say "oh well?" I think not. you'll get kicked out), but having the ability to think outside the box, to find "the hidden passageway" that saves you that extra 15 minutes is perfectly legal. An example of a game where you can use a glitch to your advantage is Half-life. getting a certain type of gun that is powerful enough to shoot a concentrated energy beam that forces you backwards can also be used to allow you to leap over obstacles. and best yet, to climb along canyon walls that with held you from the next area. This illustrates a glitch or "loop hole." finding a loop hole is like finding the mother of all shortcuts. finding that if you use a chisel a well as a hammer rather than just the hammer saves you months when you're creating a statue. not a major shortcut, not too hard to realise, but someone must have thought "darn, I need a pointy thing for precision."

so all in all, I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Yes, you have been brainwashed

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I'll try something short and see where we go from there.

In the real world there is always a price.

There is a price for doing things right.
    There is a price for doing things wrong.
    There is a price for taking short cuts (amoral/illegal/unethical).

The problem with taking short cuts is that you never know when you are paid up.

Seeking out and taking an efficient route is always a good thing. But I view that as something quite different from a short cut.

Perhaps the concept of price applies to gaming too in that when you use a cheat, you reduce the level of the challenge. This in turns reduces your experience and just how ready you might be for the challenges of the next level, or the day you don't have that cheat available.

However, using things that are readily and naturally available in innovative ways that get you ahead of the game is not a shortcut - that's fast-tracking and also comes with a price. That recoiling weapon in Half-life is a case in point - as I recall using it is not without risk to one's health. But if you take the time (and pay the price) to master it upfront, it pays big dividends later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast