Thread: Microsoft's Bid to take over Yahoo! at a standstill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Microsoft's Bid to take over Yahoo! at a standstill

an update on the current takeover bid by microsoft.

Microsoft and Yahoo: Playing Chicken?

it's been quite amazing really. I don't think Yahoo! can really hold out much longer. Shareholders seem to be almost nodding their heads and rubbing their hands. Google can't risk an attempt to take over Yahoo! itself and risk the anti-trust. And it doesn't seem they're going to be going for a partnership either. unless the cavalry comes through, it's going to be really interesting seeing a Microhoo Yasoft =P

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I heard Rupert Murdoch, the Australian media mogul was entering the fray. What would appeal to Yahoo! is that they wouldn't lose their identity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I heard Rupert Murdoch, the Australian media mogul was entering the fray.
    Rupert Murdoch, the voice of America.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I seriously doubt this will happen.....

There are a couple of reasons the main reason being that Microsoft owns MSN live and Yahoo (search engine) Together they would dominate the Internet and that is in direct contraditction of US laws as far as i know.... Monopolies are not allowed :P

Will be interesting to see how they word it.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    I believe Microsoft is looking more to get at the advertising front through Yahoo! (not to say the search isn't on the agenda either).
    Google has already tried to make it look like a monopolistic advance, but as far as i've read there has been no or little support on that front. Now if Google were to try and take over Yahoo! then we'd see a monopolistic case come through. will update the thread as the battle ensues =P

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wall Street expects Microsoft to enter a protracted period of "trench warfare" in its attempt to buy Yahoo! after the failure of its three-month-long attempt to bring the online company's board to the negotiating table.

It is expected to launch a proxy battle and try to oust the Yahoo! executive team while encouraging investors to accept its original $31-a-share offer, with the first shot fired possibly as early as this week.

With the passing, on Saturday, of the deadline that Microsoft had set Yahoo! to enter into negotiations without any comment from either side, shares in both companies declined on Monday, valuing Microsoft's bid at about $42,7-billion.

Microsoft's chief financial officer, Chris Liddell, warned last week that if Yahoo! had not started talking by Saturday the company would examine its alternatives. "These alternatives clearly include taking an offer to Yahoo! shareholders or withdrawing our proposal and focusing on other opportunities," he said.

Disappointing earnings figures from Microsoft last week prompted questions about whether the Windows software firm is in sufficiently hearty health to succeed with a hostile bid. But conversely Kessler said Microsoft's sluggish performance made the takeover all the more crucial.

"Yahoo! is more critical to Microsoft than people might have thought," he said. "I think they've been surprised and pretty frustrated by the fact that they've really got nowhere."
    full story from M&G here
    What I find interesting is that Google and Yahoo! have been mixing it up on the ad serving front, with a trial of Yahoo! ads been served by Google Adsense.

It all seems a little incestuous.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Who would want to be a board member at the next Yahoo! AGM?
    Microsoft walked away from its bid to buy Yahoo! on Saturday after the internet company turned down its offer to raise the price by $5-billion to $47,5-billion.

Microsoft's offer was for $33 a share but Yahoo! would not lower its demand below $37, Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said. The software company initially bid $31 per share for Yahoo! more than three months ago.

"We believe the economics demanded by Yahoo! do not make sense for us, and it is in the best interests of Microsoft stockholders, employees and other stakeholders to withdraw our proposal," Ballmer said in a statement.

Analysts say Yahoo! has overplayed its hand and they expect the web pioneer's shares to fall as much as 30% to $20 levels when Nasdaq trading resumes on Monday. The stock rose nearly 7% to $28,67 on Friday on hopes of an agreement between Microsoft and Yahoo!
    full story from M&G here
    Better yet. Can you imagine the look on the faces of speculators who have been counting on the buy?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe the Microsoft Yahoo! story isn't over yet.
    Billionaire investor Carl Icahn is considering mounting a proxy campaign to replace Yahoo! board members after the company failed to reach a deal to merge with Microsoft, a source close to the matter said on Tuesday.

The veteran investor has built up a stake in Yahoo! in the last week and would run a slate in an effort to force the company back to the negotiating table with Microsoft, the source said, asking for anonymity because the decision to go ahead with the move has not yet been made.
    full story from M&G here