Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I make myself visible?

Thanks
    Roelof
    Thanks for the reply, it looks good. I must just do some research on my own first and will contact you.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    For which website are you looking to do so Ian? I can have look for you in the meantime?
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    For which website are you looking to do so Ian? I can have look for you in the meantime?
    Roelof www.printimage.co.za
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    If anything a master Roelof, master of chat you be!!! hehe, great post, great wording to make it understandable and above all, all corners covered!!!

Thanks
    I am a member of another forum where there is a smiley that falls flat on his back due to overwhelmingly good info or surprize... I would have put a couple of those smileys into this reply if I had access to them.

Roelof, this is the most comprehensive answer I have EVER ecieved on ANY forum, and I utterly commend and thank you for your time and effort in helping me with this info! It is going to take time to work through ALL the valuable ifo you provided and it will take more time to start fixing the multitude of problems you have identified. This is going to ge a long term project for me, but it will have high priorities. I will over time communicate with the CEO and others to convince them of the design flaws and the need to change it. Hold thumbs that it will be noted and accepted.

Again, Roelof.... thanks for the valued info. It is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Rudi once you feel you are ready, I would gladly carry on with the points of actually marketing the site and obtaining traffic etc. You are also most welcome and your appreciation is reward enough. Good luck with the task at hand, you know where to find me

Thanks
    Roelof,

Quoted: >> Remove all onpage style sheets and link to them externally. The same goes for JavaScript.

Could you give me some idea how to do this?

I am familiar with .js and.css files and have attempted to create these off-page files so that the scripts do not clutter up my actual web page scripting. I have had success with one or two of the .js files and have put the functions scripting into these external files. However, I have struggled with some of the other scripts that add some animation on the page.

Could you give me some guidelines on how to link the .js file to the html? I have tried to use this method: direct link to the .js file...
    <link href="JavaFiles/Billboard/Billboard.css" rel="stylesheet">
    <script language="javascript" src="JavaFiles/Billboard/Billboard.js">
    </script>

and this method....using the SPAN tags and an ID

<span id="CharHL1">MAXIMA INFORMATION</span></font>
    <font size="5" color="#FFFFFF" face="Trebuchet MS">~</font></b></td>
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    animate('CharHL1', 'yellow');
    </SCRIPT>

Sometimes these work and other times not.??

My knowledge of javascripting is not so hot...I rely almost entirely on the FrontPage design.

Any guidlines will be helpful...cheers

Thanks
    Hi Rudi

Sorry for replying late but I was out of action for a couple of days. Had way to much work to do.

In terms of including Styles.
    Copy the following code to notepad and save it as styles.css in your root folder.
    #pscroller1{
    width: 251px;
    height: 90px;
    border: 1px solid #FFCC00;
    padding: 5px;
    background-color: #DEDEEF;
    font: bold 10px Trebuchet MS;
    text-align:left
    }
    Now include the file within your body tags using the following code.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" type="text/css">
    The JavaScript you can include as follows.

Copy the following code and the others that are in your website into notepad and save it as scrollscript.js

var pausecontent=new Array()
    pausecontent[0]='What is Life Skills?<br />Life (Soft) Skills are all those skills (outside the ordinary work or technical skills training) needed by any individual to obtain maximum success and happiness in every aspect of life.'
    pausecontent[1]='Our Next Empower Hour<br />Join us for our next Empower Hour,<br />5 March @ 19H00...'
    pausecontent[2]='<a href="Pics-CapeTown.htm">Saldanha Training Photos</a><br />See a couple of photos from recent training at Saldanha...'
    pausecontent[3]='<a href="Training.htm">Training Courses We Offer</a><br />View our detailed list of courses including: Time Management, Motivational Management, Stress Management and Conflict Management...'
    pausecontent[4]='Mentoring Meetings<br />Every Thursday @ 19H00. Contact Tiaan for details @ 083 293-4585'
    pausecontent[5]='What is a Life Coach?<br />A person commissioned to motivate, teach and advise people (individuals & groups) to master the practice of generic success and happiness enhancing skills and principles, called Life Skills.'
    pausecontent[6]='<a href="Motivational-Talks.htm">Life Skills Motivational Talks</a><br />View our comprehensive list of talks which includes: Achievers Attitudes, Teamwork, Goal Setting and Focussed Operations...'
    pausecontent[7]='MAXIMA is presently an established, successful and reputable company, with a growing team of competent Life Coaches and supportive staff, as well as an impressive loyal and happy corporate and individual client base.'
    pausecontent[8]='View Our Services To You<br />Maxima provides a wide range of different services to you. See the list <a href="Introduction.htm#Services">here</a>...'
    Each JavaScript file must be created in the same way and named according to it's function then you can reference the file as follows.

<script language="JavaScript1.2" src="scrollscript.js">
    In terms of naming conventions I suggest that you create a folder called scripts in your website's root and reference all the files from that folder. For the styles.css folder I suggest you create a folder called 'styles' and reference the .css files from there. In that case just change the path to styles/styles.css and scripts/scrollscript.js this will make it easier to find every time you want to change something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123