Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Registered contractors and the green card

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    If you don't have staff , then No -
    I don't know of an electrical contractor doing solar or general installation work that does not employ staff
    It is generally the appliance repair guys that work alone
    Ah perfect just curious. I need to start looking into all this soon.

Devil's advocate or rather loop hole finder haha, what If you just have day staff ? Or rather what if that person had a duplicate invoice book from PNA and then does an "invoice " to you for his labour for the day ?

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Best to play straight then get caught down the line when it comes to statutory laws as it normally works out an expensive duck and dive.Ask the people that have tried ducking and diving SARS.

If a person invoices you as a subcontractor labour only and he only invoices you he would be deemed to work full time for you under the labour laws . You would also need to ensure as a sub contractor that he is in good standing with SARS and Workmens compensation/Fema .
    If something happens to him on site you could suddenly end up with medical bills , UIF complications , death benefit problems etc if he or his family suddenly take you to CCMA .

It has happened to contractors "hiding" employees - The possible financial implications are not worth the risk.

When I started many moons back and was also studying engineering full time , I had a " casual " that helped me out - Ended up in a car accident with him alongside and he ended up with a broken leg. Suddenly discovered all these " little" things that I should have been doing and they came back to bite - Was an expensive and time consuming lesson. Rather try and avoid the school fees I paid

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (18-Aug-22)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have had all these things mentioned by GCE, done the bargaining council thing, operated as a pirate contractor for many years while recovering from a motor vehicle accident, had to pay out a lot of money.

Thank goodeness I had done the right thing with UIF, because Covid lockdown got a few people into a lot of trouble.

Had a bad accountant (Baudin and associates) who decided to retire, I paid him R10 000.00 to make sure all my returns and taxes were up to date, he ran away with the money and left me with a box full of problems, it took me a year to find that he had sold the business to another accounting firm who couldnt find all my paper and who basic told me to they were not interested in my problems.

I then had to find someone who took all those boxes of documents sorted them out, updated all the returns and gave me an outstanding amount to pay, that was a nasty R35k for services already paid to the other accountant, plus R80k to SARS. Thank goodness my vehicle was paid up, so I sold it used the money to settle everything.

A word of advice I got when I started my business, dont worry about all the other stuff, make sure your SARS returns and payment are done right or you will end up in jail. SARS debt never does away, it just grows by the day.

Even if you are a one man band and use the gardener or the home executive to help on days were you need a hand, make sure your PAYE and workman's comp. is up to date.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (18-Aug-22)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Oh hectic ! Hahaha definitely need to then make sure ducks in a row.

Do you have to register with Vat to then register with the NBECI ?

I saw the form but not 100% sure as I see my turnover being very very little hahaha

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    No Vat registration necessary if your turnover is below the threshold - Just Electrical Contractors registration

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    IF you go into solar installation you gonna need to register with VAT, 10 installations and you exceed the threshold something to consider, or let the customers buy the equipment and you just do the installs.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I agree with the regs you have posted.

Clearly the article mislead one to believe that YOU MUST REGISTER WITH NBCEI - FALSE.

It also states that only a IE or MIE can qualify and register to be an electrical contractor at DOL -FALSE. SPT can also qualify and register.

Also it mentioned that the point of control and the point of consumption, WHICH DEFINES AN INSTALLATION, has been removed. Again, FASLE. A LIE.

It is still there.

By your own post:
    electrical installation

machinery, in or on any premises, that is used for the transmission of electrical
    energy from a point of control (see 3.56) to a point of consumption

(see 3.55) anywhere on the premises, including any article that forms part of
    such an installation, irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical
    circuit, but excluding
    a) any machinery of the supplier that is related to the supply of electricity on
    the premises,
    b) any machinery that is used for the transmission of electricity of which the
    voltage does not exceed 50 V, where such electricity is not derived from
    the main supply of a supplier, and
    c) any machinery that transmits electrical energy in telecommunication,
    television or radio circuits..........

Anyway, thanks for the points made i truly appreciate it. Have a good weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022 main agreenent exclusions.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	8606

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Clearly the article mislead one to believe that YOU MUST REGISTER WITH NBCEI - FALSE.
    It is impossible to do a PV installation by yourself so you will definitely have a helper - If you have a helper he needs to be registered with NBCEI

It also states that only a IE or MIE can qualify and register to be an electrical contractor at DOL -FALSE. SPT can also qualify and register.
    Yes a SPT ca n register as an electrical contractor but as a SPT registered contractor you cannot sign off on DC work as per Annex M

Also it mentioned that the point of control and the point of consumption, WHICH DEFINES AN INSTALLATION, has been removed. Again, FASLE. A LIE.

It is still there.
    The doubt has been removed by the definition 3.16 - If the consumer installed and users the electricity then it is part of the electrical installation . The definition for Point of supply ( 3.58) and Supplier ( 3.77) has been updated and a consumers own PV plant is not a point of supply - Only a person that has contracted to supply electricity to another person is a supplier , like a shopping center owner. If the shopping center owner installs PV then he uses it for himself and is a consumer not a supplier. So the shopping center owner is both a supplier and consumer.
    The detail is in the definitions before reading the clauses
    The PV is in-between the point of supply and point of consumption and therefore part of the electrical installation

consumer

person who is supplied (or who is to be supplied) with electricity by a supplier
    (see 3.77); or a person who supplies his own electricity

point of supply

point at which a supplier supplies electricity to any premises

supplier

in relation to a particular installation, any local authority (see 3.47), statutory
    body or person who supplies, contracts or agrees to supply, electricity to that
    electrical installation

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123