Thread: Jump in or be patient and wait for the solar industry to settle

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Jump in or be patient and wait for the solar industry to settle

Do you jump in with both feet and pay up front or be patient and wait?

Are the prices going to increase or will the demand decrease and result in a price decrease?

Have companies boosted production to keep up with the demand, which could flood the market with equipment?

Too many question and too little stability in the world right now.

Rushing out right now and taking a second bond to fit a R150 K solar system might not be the smartest thing to do.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Yeah it's tricky... I give a quote or option for a smallish battrry and inverter install for plugs and lights and I say that use the extra cash to get gas geyser or solar geyser and then perhaps if in a house to have additional changeover for a Genny.

Solar is expensive and not 100% the answer and South Africa only care about solar do to loadshedding so to conquer loadshedding there are other ways other than solar.

That is my current thought process.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    This load shedding has caused panic buying, I am going to hold on to my cash for now and wait till the end of August to see where this industry is going, I am hoping companies have seen this as an opportunity to expand end up with lots of surplus stock, which will result in a decrease in pricing. Taking a 25 year second bond to fit a system which might end up costing you more in fees at the end of the day, might not be the smartest move right now. Even if a feedback tariff is introduced, it will only last so long and the amount really worth the hassle.

Rushing out to do green card or any form of training can also wait until the solar industry has a set of regulations. Too many cooks in the kitchen at the moment.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (02-Aug-22)

Thanks
    Yep. This last spate of loadshedding has taught us a lot. I'm talking domestic here. There's only one appliance in my house with which We will find it difficult to survive without, the fridge freezer combo. After all, what is life without having a cold one in the evening.

The rest is sorted. Hot water from a rocket geyser, cooking on a Dover, lighting from the car's battery. With a smart phone, not even the computer in the small office room is needed. Tv is a no no in our house. We spend the evenings around the Dover, chatting and having one or two of them cold one's I referred to earlier.

The fridge freezer uses 2kwh's a day
    So my small 1,4 kw inverter and 4 panels on the roof looks after that quite nicely.

I have yet to get involved with pv installs. I just cannot get myself to quote on a system knowing full well that it's not gonna live up to the clients expectations. I leave that to others. There's over enough other work out there

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Yep. This last spate of loadshedding has taught us a lot. I'm talking domestic here. There's only one appliance in my house with which We will find it difficult to survive without, the fridge freezer combo. After all, what is life without having a cold one in the evening.

The rest is sorted. Hot water from a rocket geyser, cooking on a Dover, lighting from the car's battery. With a smart phone, not even the computer in the small office room is needed. Tv is a no no in our house. We spend the evenings around the Dover, chatting and having one or two of them cold one's I referred to earlier.

The fridge freezer uses 2kwh's a day
    So my small 1,4 kw inverter and 4 panels on the roof looks after that quite nicely.

I have yet to get involved with pv installs. I just cannot get myself to quote on a system knowing full well that it's not gonna live up to the clients expectations. I leave that to others. There's over enough other work out there
    Agree,Housewives still cant get the idea that you can't use the hairdryer on the batteries unless you really want to spend alot. So agree the clients expectations can be out of sync and a bad bout of load shedding is not ideal for any system as batteries cant recover. Another point to show that there fly by nights in industry is that only qualified electricians like an IE registered at bargaining council and dep of labour should be installing these systems. That is not happening .In sa people love quick in and out businesses like selling masks etc