Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets do it right and register our solar installtion.

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Lets do it right and register our solar installtion.

That is were the fun begins and ends, it seems unless you have a "contact" you going to sit for hours in frustration, trying to contact a person in the right department.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hahaha I am looking into this now and stopped quoting solar.

NERSA have a word doc I found and then I need to find out the network support and get an approval letter...

Also the NERSA site I can't fint the document tab per say I have to google the form.

I have no idea of costs... Who the network supplier is for most people and who to even contact there.

Nevermind how long all this takes and the costs....

So let's say I do a quote and it's accepted... How long till all this stuff is sorted before I can install. The client would want there money back and go to the next oke...

I don't know where to begin and it's frustrating...

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Thanks
    All these training facilities... Do they teach you this and how to actually do it and who all to contact with time lines and costs!?

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Call me uninformed, or ignorant but what registration are you referring too???
    We do plenty installations locally and don't register a thing, only the gridtied systems we register, have inspected and signed off by our local Town Council
    Being in Orania have certain drawbacks and certain advantages.
    One drawback is being not always informed on the right procedures and the right way of doing things.

Greetings

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Not sure if this will help https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...-eskom-krisis/ In this article they state that Solidariteit had started a helpline for people that want to get a permit to generate power via solar??

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I decided to email the council, I had a response last night with a list of email addresses, which I have noted. I have sent an email to the council and now waiting for a response.

Just take note that you need to check with your local municipality, ever municipality is different.

Some might have an Eskom supply, so you need to check with your local Eskom department.

I cannot afford to sit in court for months over a silly registration document. I also cant afford to pay a huge fine for installation a system which is not compliant.

I get the feeling people are going to wish they followed the bylaws.

While chatting to someone about it a couple days ago, my thoughts were to let the customer buy the equipment (you can buy the equipment at the same price as an installer) and I just do a cash job, no invoice no paper trail. But I have to do the DB's and issue a COC's, so anyway I look at it, there will be a paper trail.

I am also considering getting an installer (a dime a dozen) to do the solar part, let them sign over what ever it is they need to do and I just stick to my elctrical modifications and DB upgrades.

I can get installers who are even prepared to offer the complete installation and a COC for R10k.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I was under the impression you only need a permit for 1 MW and above?
    or is this for commercial only...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Lot of misinformation available, especially on social media. Also about the R900. per month levy for all solar systems
    I'm trying to find the truth, out of curiosity

Greetings

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Still no response from the municipality. Lets hope their response is so slow when it comes time to enforce the bylaws.

Thanks
    OK, 7.12.1.1 Note 1 says:

" Requirements of the supplier should be ascertained before any alternate supply is installed in an installation connected to the main supply of a supplier"

What is an alternate supply ?

SANS 10142-3 7.12 note defines alternate supply as " low-voltage generating sets, photovoltaic (PV) installations, gas generators, diesel generators, wind turbines and hydropower plants "

So I decided to check what the Supply Authority By Laws prescribe. ( BCMM electricity by laws )

39. Consumer's emergency standby supply equipment.

1.1 No emergency standby equipment provided by a consumer in terms of any regulations or for the consumers own operational requirements shall be connected to any installation without the prior written approval of the Municipality. Application for such approval shall be made in writing and shall include a full specification of the equipment and a wiring diagram. The standby equipment shall be so designed and installed that it is impossible for the Municipality's supply mains to be energised by means of a backfeed from such equipment. The consumer shall be responsible for providing, installing and maintaining all such protective equipment.

So there you have it. In our valley, we first need to get written permission from the Munic before doing a generator or PV installation.

I wonder how many of the green card installers actually do this ? I suspect none.

11. Thanks given for this post:

Intaka (15-Jun-23)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast