Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets do it right and register our solar installtion.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AmithS View Post
    I was under the impression you only need a permit for 1 MW and above?
    or is this for commercial only...
    There was the need to obtain NERSA approval above 1MW that has now changed to 100MW

There is still and has always been a requirement that all PV installations be registered with the Local Supply Authority - The local Supply Authority has to keep NERSA informed has to the amount of PV connected within their area .

It has to do with security of supply , harmonics on the system and the fact that if there is too much PV being placed on the grid it causes the Voltage to fluctuate outside of what is deemed acceptable.

There is also a requirement that if you exceed 350KVA PV system that a grid compliance assessment may have to be done .

There is and has always been a restriction of 25% of main incoming C/Breaker size

NERSA published a document to assist in simplified grid connections below 350KVA but still allowed the Utility to have the final say depending on the amount of PV connected in an area or on a transformer.

NRS 097-2-1:2017
    GRID INTERCONNECTION OF EMBEDDED GENERATION
    Part 2: Small-Scale embedded generation

The Grid Code defines the minimum requirements for any renewable power plant (embedded generator system) in order to connect to the grid or network. Wherever conflict exists between this set of documents and the applicable Grid Code(s) in terms of more strict requirements, the applicable Grid Code(s) will take preference.
    NOTE 1 The 1000 kVA value will be revisited and reviewed as the industry evolves.
    NOTE 2 This document provides a standard set of specifications for small embedded generators. Compliance with this document does not guarantee that a utility will or can allow connection to the utility network.
    NOTE 3 The customer is advised to contact the utility to discuss potential further connection requirements.

4.1.1.6 The maximum size of the embedded generator is limited by the rating of the supply point on the premises.

4.1.1.7 The utility will approve the size of the embedded generator and will decide on the connection point and conditions. In some cases it may be required to create a separate supply point.
    4.1.1.8 Embedded generators larger than 13,8 kVA shall be of the balanced three-phase type unless only a single-phase network supply is available, in which case NRS 097-2-3 recommendations can be applied based on the NMD.

4.1.2 Simplified connection of generator sizes should be limited to 350 kVA.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Thys LOW Elektries (23-Jul-22)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    Lot of misinformation available, especially on social media. Also about the R900. per month levy for all solar systems
    I'm trying to find the truth, out of curiosity

Greetings
    There has always been a availability charge for an electrical connection point the same way that there is for water and sewage

When pre paid meters started this charge was incorporated into the unit rate. Anybody still on a credit meter pays availability and a per unit rate .The per unit rate is cheaper then prepaid meter rate .

In PE for a Net metering system ( Domestic single phase) you pay an availability rate of R 352.84 per month and if you want net billing then another R 88.22 per month.

On 3 phase small business it is R 1 106.00 ex vat availability charge

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    OK,
    I wonder how many of the green card installers actually do this ? I suspect none.
    Did the Sapvia Green card course. Started filling in my first ones today for installs recently completed.

Never mentioned on the course we have to tell municipality. And the one that realy upset me is that part of issuing a green card is that you have to have-

1) A PV solar system design approved by Pr. Eng. or Pr. Tech. - extra cost to get a (2) Letter of installation and commissioning approval from Eskom or municipality - extra cost

So licensed, registered, in the electrical game for 25 years - did lots of solar in the UK and Australia in the past, paid R20000 for a course and assesment and still can't issue a green card for my installs because the chance of getting a installation and commisioning approval from municipality in Joburg would be a miracle. And charging the client the extra cost of a Pr. Eng to sign off.... Unlikely.

On further checking I found on Sapvia web site only 198 Green cards have been issued amounting to 634513.23 KWp of panels

(source - https://pvgreencard.co.za/)

So this little one man business has installed, in the last 3 weeks, 26160kwp in panels - that is the equivalent of about 4% of the ammount that have been green carded.

Considering how long sapvia has been going, since 2011 in South Africa, if the data on there own web site is correct thats a pretty poor registration rate.

Other than the cost I have to ask why only 198?

Supposed to be the recognised registration for PV, but so few green cards?

Considering its a R20000+ course, I think thats pretty bad.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    D

Considering how long sapvia has been going, since 2011 in South Africa, if the data on there own web site is correct thats a pretty poor registration rate.

Other than the cost I have to ask why only 198?

Supposed to be the recognised registration for PV, but so few green cards?

Considering its a R20000+ course, I think thats pretty bad.
    The green card is not a legal requirement but has had a good marketing job pushing the use of greencard holders
    When ECA put out the article on who can do Solar installs it caused a stir in the market place. Sapvia realised that the majority of green card holders were not registered as Electrical Contractors and cleaned up the data base.
    It appeared that the Training centers " hijacked ", with permission, the green card system and were allowed to list directly onto the site anybody that did the course - This has since been changed and checks have been put in place

Training is big money and unfortunately in the process agendas are being pushed to ensure sustainability for training centers , one being expiry dates - You only have to look at some of the requirements in the H&S space.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    How can we improve relations with the councils, simple create a platform for contracotrs to deal with them.

Use an email address that works.

Tried all sorts of this things weekend, all the emails bounced (undelivered)

Anyone have the correct email address or contact details to register an SSEG?

Its is so frustrating dealing with Ethekwini, then they post incorrect deatils, ifr they want people to register an SSEG, maybe they should share the correct deatails and repsond to emails sent to their info email address

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    How can we improve relations with the councils, simple create a platform for contracotrs to deal with them.

Use an email address that works.

Tried all sorts of this things weekend, all the emails bounced (undelivered)

Anyone have the correct email address or contact details to register an SSEG?

Its is so frustrating dealing with Ethekwini, then they post incorrect deatils, ifr they want people to register an SSEG, maybe they should share the correct deatails and repsond to emails sent to their info email address
    Did you ever send the mail in this post that you spoke of and get membership - If so , ask the committee to make contact and get a representative from Council out to speak at a members meeting
    Always helps when a collective makes the request

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Sent the email, still no response.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Did you ever send the mail in this post that you spoke of and get membership - If so , ask the committee to make contact and get a representative from Council out to speak at a members meeting
    Always helps when a collective makes the request

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Stil lno response and the SSEG registration emails just bounces back

Message not delivered
    There was a problem delivering your message to residentialgeneration@elec.durban.gov.za. See the technical details below.
    LEARN MORE
    This link will take you to a third-party site

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have tasked the KZN Regional Director of the ECA SA to get hold of Ethekwini Metro and track down a live person to speak to i.r.o SSEG registration. The goal is to get someone from the department to present to the next Durban Branch meeting on requirements and how to register SSEG in the Ethekwini supply area.

11. Thanks given for this post:

GCE (09-Jun-23)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I have tasked the KZN Regional Director of the ECA SA to get hold of Ethekwini Metro and track down a live person to speak to i.r.o SSEG registration. The goal is to get someone from the department to present to the next Durban Branch meeting on requirements and how to register SSEG in the Ethekwini supply area.
    It has worked in our area as long as the contractors attending understand that it is not a municipal bashing session but attend with the aim to work together to get to a point that is workable for everyone - They have been thrown into the deep end and trying to play catch up . Municipalities are also being dictated to by Eskom through NERSA.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (10-Jun-23)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast