Thread: Replacing a metal socket outlet with a plastic socket outlet

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Replacing a metal socket outlet with a plastic socket outlet

This has become a huge problem in the elctrical industry, not only for the DIYer, but everyone including elctrical contractors.

If you remove a METAL socket outlet and there are only 2 wires in the plug box, you MUST make a provision for an earth tag or install an earth wire.

You cannot just connect the 2 wires the plastic socket outlet and not connect an earth wire to the earth terminal.

IF you are are one of the Aholes who dont visit sites and sign off COC's, at least, teach your staff what to do if there is no earth wire in a metal box.

IT IS DANGEROUS.

A tip for anyone (electricians, property owners, tenants and especially people with small children) who has recently had socket outlets replaced in an installation.

Buy one of these, I personally use this particular one on a daily basis. If you have children in the house it could save their life.

Make sure the knob is turned completely to the left, plug it into the socket outlet and check that all 3 lights are "ON" , if only 2 lights are on BEWARE it means there is no earth connected to the socket outlet and you have an extremely dangerous situation. If all 3 lights are on turn the knob one click at a time until the earth leakage unit trips, it turned completely to the right, it means your earth leakage unit could be faulty. Get hold of an electrician to verify the state of the earthing and earth leakage unit.

I am not just trying to scare you, I am sure any other credible electrician would agree with my comments.

https://www.takealot.com/elcb-socket...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way the one in the pic can also test those silly ZA socket outlets that electricians are suppose to install, but I still cannot find an appliance which is fitted with this type of plug top.

It must have been designed for apple users

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Yip, agree fully. Standard procedure on my jobs. You will be surprised at how much isn't earthed and just waiting for an incident to happen