Thread: Getting old

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Getting old

What a wake up call today, old VCR's, Pentax cameras and rotary dial telephones. Today made me realise I have finally reached that age, when you start telling your children about the good old days and have to explain what a fax machine was used for. Telling stories about how we use to listen to the radio before there was a TV is now just depressing.

It is sad to think I have been running my business for so long that a 286 computer and dot matrix printer was about to become a big hit, back when we still stood in a line at the bank to deposit cash and cheques. When a pager was a means to contact you urgently. When a mans word was worth more than a piece of paper and people had morals standards and integrity.

For the first time in my life, today I actually felt my age. I had a haircut and the floor was had more grey than brown hair, I had to cut the hair around my ears and soon start using Vaseline in my ears.

Working a 20 hour day have turned into 10 hour days with at least an hour rest or Loading a 500 m cable drum is better left for the younger lads. Now I have to be in bed by 10 otherwise I cant get out of bed at 4 am.

Just a a couple years ago, doing 5 days of high intensity training and clocking up 300-400 km on a bicycle was just part of my daily routine.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I feel you i have been around the block myself started my career with Escom the good old days with astonishing amazement of HV articulation systems and servicing of 100kv SF6 breakers up and down ladders and scaffolding like it was no effort at all moving on to mining industry getting up at 3 in the morning and spending 10 to 12 hours underground service sub station and loco trolley lines in ambient temperature of 40+ degrees. Running comrades marathon 9 times until one day i woke up being 60 this year i feel you my brother

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.