Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Registering alternative forms of supply at municipality

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    https://www.gov.za/sites/default/fil...409/a4-060.pdf

Hi Pieter,

I see no mention of " ALL PV INSTALLATIONS MUST BE REGISTERED AT SOME COUNCIL" in this Act.

It seems to be aimed at GRID INTERCONNECTION OF EMBEDDED
    GENERATION only.

YES i would give a coc to a customer if the installation complies
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 10-Jun-22 at 11:37 AM.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You would need to do it according to your municipality requirements, you need to understand that we all live in different parts of SA. I have heard the way things are done in the Cape are not the same as the way things are done in other provinces.

We all know why people dont register the system, including the council metering department , so if you think you are smarter than everyone else, I think you are going to be in for a little surprise.

What is going to get interesting is when the council will start doing checks, how they will determine the loss they have incurred and who will be prosecuted, the owner and the installer or both?

I am will GCE on this one, I would rather makes sure I dont have to waste months in court over some solar installation.

Something to consider, your solar panels are visible on google earth. Your electricity account has been recorded and an average consumption is on record with the council ever since the day the electricity was connected. The bank records of the day you purchased the system, the installers invoice, its all on record.

Thanks
    I know this is not solar, but our Munic tried about a year ago to get everyone with rain water tanks to register with them.

About 4 people did. The rest demanded to know what their motive was. We knew they had plans of somehow charging us for collecting rainwater.

They came back to us telling us not to worry, they only wanted to make sure that we weren't contaminating the Munic water supply with our rainwater.

We pointed out to them that this was not possible as their water meters incorporate a non return valve, preventing this from happening.

Haven't heard from them since.

Watch out for municipalities run by the ANC. They are snakes. Just wanting to suck your last cent from you. They beg you to use less electricity and water. You then spend money on tanks and solar panels to oblige. Then they want to penalize you for using less water and electricity.

It has nothing to do with services, but all about the money. They hate you for making less available for them to loot.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    All they want is bucks.. GCE made great points of loads in certain times.

I feel if someone goes Fu@k you to paying electrics and goes off grid then the municipal have zero to do with you.
    I'm tired of everyone wanting a piece of flesh...and doing nothing with it....

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Dylboy / Derlyn be careful of such remarks there are standards for reasons like GCE mentioned your off grid installation influence Escom how? Think what happens if your off grid goes tits up where do you look generator back up or the nearest power backup Escom. Remember it is very very expensive and not viable going off grid unless you have no option and not advisable what kind of battery power are you going to use?. If you spend 300k realistic on off grid system what is your solar panel lifespan or how many charges from Lifep04. Be realistic off grid systems are for the rich and not the average household

Thanks
    My post was actually about water tanks and the Munic wanting us to register them.

R13 000 and I've been off grid with water for 2,5 yrs. Payback time 3 years. 6 months to go.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Something many people are not considering is the replacement cost. If you cant afford the installation and have to extend your bond already , how are you going to replace the battery, solar panels and inverter when they reach their lifespan. No there will not be a cheaper solution, is there a cheaper option for FLA, its just another smart way to milk the consumer. The smart people are adding zeros to their bank balances while the rest of the fools just keep spending and complaining.

I see the result of expensive system being installed and now that the FLA batteries for example are no longer holding a charge, its time to replace. IF you have looking to replace a 48 VDC battery pack, you in for around R20 000 for that you will only get a 0.5C 100 amp/hr battery which will only offer the same as the FLA/gel/AGM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12