Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop in Hubble Lifep04

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Drop in Hubble Lifep04

Hi all has anybody used this specific drop in replacement i would appreciate any feedback on performance. I need to replace 22 Gel batteries that reached end of life with Lifep04 and had these units in mind.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GETPOWER-HUBBLE-S-120-.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	8544

Name:	GETPOWER-HUBBLE-S-120-spec-1232x800.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	8545

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Not sure if you mean 22 individual units or 22 feeding one UPS/Inverter

Most of the drop in replacement type batteries have limitations with regards to connecting in parallel and also max voltage when connecting in series

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Not sure if you mean 22 individual units or 22 feeding one UPS/Inverter

Most of the drop in replacement type batteries have limitations with regards to connecting in parallel and also max voltage when connecting in series
    Sorry it is actually 24 100ah gel batteries 8 batteries per bank and 3 banks parallel to a Microcare 8kw bi- directional inverter. 3 banks as illustrated in drawing below that has a class t primary fuse at inverter positive. Sorry i cant take pictures the client dont allow pictures taken in his plant. I got the picture below on the internet as explanation picture below x 3 to the inverter.The wiring is not very neat they are using 16mm welding cable with 16x8 crimped lugs on the battery terminals.

Name:	main-qimg-0f42e7ab0f88baa49eb164b6bbdbfc69-pjlq.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	8547

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Why not install batteries designed for that application with a built in BMS, which can communicate with inverter.

You need to understand the inverter specs and only then choose a battery suitable for the inverter. I would strongly advise against just dropping in replacement batteries.

Something I see a lot while doing inverter audits for customers, general and battery setting not suitable for the type of batteries, like charge/discharge rates, battery cutout settings etc etc. Leaving an inverter in default setting, could destroy the batteries in a matter of months.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Cyon (26-May-22)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Why not install batteries designed for that application with a built in BMS, which can communicate with inverter.

You need to understand the inverter specs and only then choose a battery suitable for the inverter. I would strongly advise against just dropping in replacement batteries.

Something I see a lot while doing inverter audits for customers, general and battery setting not suitable for the type of batteries, like charge/discharge rates, battery cutout settings etc etc. Leaving an inverter in default setting, could destroy the batteries in a matter of months.
    Thanks for the advice i did manage to find a manual for the Microcare inverter and did speak to the technical guys at Microcare in PE. The parameters could be set up for Lifep04.The main challenge in charging a Li-Ion battery is to realize the battery's full capacity without overcharging it. Constant current constant voltage (CCCV) I will set the inverter cut off voltage at 40% dod.

Name:	LiFePO4-Battery-Voltage-Charts-Image-8.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	8548

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred M View Post
    Thanks for the advice i did manage to find a manual for the Microcare inverter and did speak to the technical guys at Microcare in PE. The parameters could be set up for Lifep04.The main challenge in charging a Li-Ion battery is to realize the battery's full capacity without overcharging it. Constant current constant voltage (CCCV) I will set the inverter cut off voltage at 40% dod.

Name:	LiFePO4-Battery-Voltage-Charts-Image-8.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	8548
    LiFePO4 batteries can go down to 10% DOD as per your chart or minimum of 12V.
    Voltage per cell, I think your battery has 4 cells in series
    Minimum discharge voltage = 2.5 V = 10V
    Working voltage = 3.0 to 3.2 V = 12V to 12.8V
    Maximum charge voltage = 3.65 V = 14.6V
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Thanks guys i appreciate the guidance and info. The ac load is 25amps single phase on inverter output and these new Lifep04 will be much more efficient than the 120ah deep cycle gel batteries so my thinking was to discharge only to 40% dod for the longevity of the battery bank as the client is paying R160k for the new batteries i have enough capacity to run down to 40% dod (24 batteries@120ah/battery) series/ parallel for 24v dc inverter input. I see on the existing installation there is 1x class T 30 fuse installed as primary disconnector on the positive side at the inverter or would it be better to put fuse protection between every bank and leave the class t fuse as main interrupter. I also see that this inverter can run at 200% 16kw if mains is present. There is also a ats changeover switch installed for a 30 kva diesel generator with one fase and neutral feeding the inverter. I was also thinking of using copper busbar with short leads to the battery terminals and get rid of the 16mm welding cable making the installation looking very untidy or am i overthinking the setup.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Thanks guys i appreciate the guidance and info. The ac load is 25amps single phase on inverter output and these new Lifep04 will be much more efficient than the 120ah deep cycle gel batteries so my thinking was to discharge only to 40% dod for the longevity of the battery bank as the client is paying R160k for the new batteries i have enough capacity to run down to 40% dod (24 batteries@120ah/battery) series/ parallel for 24v dc inverter input. I see on the existing installation there is 1x class T 300 fuse installed as primary disconnector on the positive side at the inverter or would it be better to put fuse protection between every bank and leave the class t fuse as main interrupter. I also see that this inverter can run at 200% 16kw if mains is present. There is also a ats changeover switch installed for a 30 kva diesel generator with one fase and neutral feeding the inverter. I was also thinking of using copper busbar with short leads to the battery terminals and get rid of the 16mm welding cable making the installation looking very untidy or am i overthinking the setup.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    LiFePO4 have life cycles from 2,700 to over 10,000 cycles depending on conditions, so there is no advantage making the DOD at 40%.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    One of the common battery failures or reduction in cycles in SA, high temperature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast