Thread: Generator kits

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Generator kits

I purchased all the goodies to make up my retrofit kits on Saturday and started assembling the lighting kits.

I also purchased a pile of generator changeover stuff, so that I can supply a kit for generators. It will consist of:

1/ An IP 65 DB

2/ A 63 amp manual changeover switch. (for 60 amp single phase supplies)

3/ An indicator light to indicate the generator is running.

4/ A 32 amp double pole geyser combo type circuit breaker. ( for generators up to 8 kva)

5/ A 4 mm wire connected to the combo breaker.

6/ A 32 amp blue weather proof IP rated male coupler.

7/ 3 m of 10 mm earth wire.

8/ An earth spike.

These power challenges teach you to become efficient very quickly.

The DB can be mounted directly below the meter box. You switch off the breaker feeding the meter, (notify the council metering department so that they can reseal the meter) break the seal on the meter,

remove the wiring feeding the main DB, fit a new wire from the meter terminal down to the 63 amp changeover switch mounted in the DB next to the meter box. Ferule the cable feeding the now Sub DB in the house with a piece of 16 mm wire,

connect it to the output of the changeover over switch.

Connect the 10 mm earth wire directly to the earth stub in the meter box and run it down to the earth spike in the ground.

Fit a suitable gland to the changeover DB, install a cable from the generator input of the changeover switch out to a "male" connector (pair the cable and connector to the generator, I just fit a 32 amp with a 4 mm wire covers anything from a small unit up to an 8 kva , you can use a16 amp if you fit a 16 amp breaker combo) on a double insulated type flexible cable (I used an orange trailing cable)

Bond the neutral and earth at the generator input inside the changeover DB and not at the generator, fit the correct labels on the changeover DB. It is no advisable to bond the neutral and earth at the generator, just in case the generator is used as a free standing unit for camping or site work or any other application were you will just plug the appliance directly into the generator.

Dont forget the label " not for use with a V-O-V type generators and take a pic to make sure you CYA.

Thank goodness SANS approval no longer applies to products sold in SA. I managed to find a "IEC approved" 63 double pole changeover switch for R230.00. Just a note the China mall is not always the cheapest place to buy stuff, you can find cheap junk with IEC approval at large wholesalers.

*I will you the best of luck trying to get a 16 mm wire into the change over switch. *

Thanks
    Did a generator installation yesterday.

The generator that the client purchased already has an industrial socket fitted.
    First time I've seen this on a new generator. Photo attached.

So it wasn't necessary to fit a socket on the wall and make up the lead with 2 plugtops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220706_112706.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	8581

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220706_112752.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	8582

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quick one gents...

This earth spike...

Why do you need it ? If all the earth's are connected and never disconnected then surely the earthing by the transformer and if there still steel pipes is a shit ton better earthing than one 1.5m spike where the loop is not tested to even know fault currents of that spike etc.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Quick one gents...

This earth spike...

Why do you need it ? If all the earth's are connected and never disconnected then surely the earthing by the transformer and if there still steel pipes is a shit ton better earthing than one 1.5m spike where the loop is not tested to even know fault currents of that spike etc.

In simple terms its a formality, just used to make you feel safer, unless of course the person who installs it actually carries out the tests required using the correct equipment. I saw a generator yesterday on a trailer with an earth spike you could see the spike had never been hit in more that 500 mm

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hahahaha yes formality is what I feel it is.

" I seen it done like that so I will too..."I have seen ELU installed and dont even work when pressed as there is no bridge but hey it's visually there so must work.

A test would be to do a PSCC and a Loop and see what comes back to make sure the device can disconnect...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Quick one gents...

This earth spike...

The reason 4.12.3.1.1 insists on the utilities earth not being relied on is due to Theft or maintenance from the utility on the cable network.

Let's not think domestic only and load shedding - The reason people where installing generators was because the incoming supply was not available which could be the earth neutral point stolen in the sub station , or the utility is busy working on your cable in the street outside and the earth is disconnected while they carry out the repair .

You could find that for a time period there is no earth to the premises.
    It is also the reason they want 4 pole switching so that on smaller supplies you don't suddenly become the earth neutral point for the minisub/sub station - Imagine an 800Kva transformer earthing itself to neutral on your 6KVA genset with 6sqmm neutral and earth wire - The 6sqmm will look like a heater element

7.12.3.1 Neutral bar earthing
    Protection in accordance with the requirements of 6.7 shall be
    provided for the electrical installation in such a manner as to ensure correct
    operation of the protection devices, irrespective of the source of supply or
    combination of sources of supply. Operation of the protection devices shall
    not rely upon the connection to the earthed point of the main supply
    when the
    generator is operated as a switched alternative to the main supply.
    Where there is no existing earth electrode installed in the electrical installation,
    a suitable earth electrode may be installed in accordance with SANS 10199.
    When installed, the electrode shall be bonded to the consumer's earth terminal
    and to the earthing point on the alternate supply by a conductor of at least half
    the cross-section of that of the phase conductor, but not less than 6 mm2
    copper, or equivalent. This also applies to a single-phase supply
    (see also 5.2.3.1).

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (09-Jul-22)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    GCE once again thank you !

You have a nak of putting the pieces together. I know those standards but never thought of it in the real world as such and how they combine. Also how you put it into a real world situation for easier understanding and reason is superb.

Thank you and you make a good point often to not just think domestic.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Unless these requirements are are met, knocking a piece of copper coated steel in to the ground is about as useless as a council electrician with a duspol tester trying to identify high loop impedance issues on pole outside your property.

8.6.7 Earth resistance
    8.6.7.1 Earth resistance can be determined in accordance with SANS 10199.
    NOTE Where the supplier does not provide an earthing terminal or where an
    alternative supply is installed, the efficiency of the earthing system can be confirmed by
    this test in SANS 10199 or by using an appropriate instrument. Amdt 1
    8.6.7.2 Where the supplier provides an earthing terminal, this test is optional.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I would assume all the generator installation electrician have a copy of SANS 10199 and the correct test equipment to verify the ground is moist enough, without having to flood the area with 5000 litres of water