Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rewiring old ballast type light fittings for LED tubes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I think I have finally got to that point, it is time to start scaling down and looking around. I am starting to regret not taking the opportunity to do a 2 year contract in Australia, all expenses, documentation sorted and relocation costs covered. If another opportunity pops up, there is a good chance that like many other smart people I would actually look into it.

Feedback from so many people who have left including half my family, You dont know how bad it is here until you go to a place were things just work, violence and discrimination, disfunction councils you name it are not a way of life . We just learn to accept things as normal.

I spoke to someone leaving in the next couple of days, when I asked him why he is leaving, he indicated that like me, I have never had the urge to leave because I believed there was hope for this shit hole at the ass end of Africa, but he went on holiday for a couple weeks, when he got home he started retrenching and selling everything, and will be gone by the end of the month.

So why does it matter that him and many others like him are leaving, consider this:

He owned a company which employed a bunch of people, will they find a new job, well you tell me.

He owned a company which used the services of small business like many of us on this platform, will we find new customers, I am sure we will.

He owned a house which employed a gardener and home executive. She has to find a new job which could mean she will have to travel to work everyday.

He sent his children to local schools and paid school fees, supporting those who dont.

He used and paid electricity, rates and taxes, supporting those who dont.

I could just go on and on and on and on.

I am sure there are people who would disagree with me, please feel free to set the record straight and inspire me to want to stay and share my knowledge and experience here rather than abroad
    It would really be sad to see you go, it looks like you have a lot of experience in this industry and the eagerness to do things the correct way. for one you already inspired me through this post alone to do better and research more. Sad to say I am one of those blokes retrofitting led's and didn't bothered to do it the correct way, but after this post I will definitely do it the correct way.

I would like to thank you and the other contributors for opening my eyes.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Isetech (08-Jun-22)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    My opinion on the state of this industry, its not the team members or staff on site who are the problem, its the cut throat industry the company owners has created.

In most cases I find the unskilled people on site are just trying to make a living wage, they have nobody to guide them in the right direction.

I had 70 skilled artisans on a site I worked and every single one of them needed someone to point them in the right direction everyday and all I did all day was go around making sure they did what was required. Now through a team of unskilled labourers on site without someone to guide them and makes sure things are done right, what you get, the electrical industry we have today.

I have decided that this is what I am going to do with my life, instead of storing all the knowledge and experience I have bottled up inside my head, next week I have meeting with a manager of a large company. I am going to make a proposal and tell them why I believe I would be such a valuable asset to their company. I have good reputation of getting things done, completing contract well with into completion dates and never in 40 years run into penalties on any project I have ever worked, no matter how big or small.

I just have no idea of my worth, so that is going to be the biggest challenge, not if I am qualified for the task, just how much I am worth to the company.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567