Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewiring old ballast type light fittings for LED tubes

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    This section certainly applies, We have done large upgraded (not retrofits) were we replaced all the old 5 ft fitting with new HO LED fittings, the first comment I heard was, wow those lights are bright. That specific project was designed by the large lighting supplier.

3.2 Light distribution
    Changing the lamp type or the lamp position in a luminaire, will significantly affect the photometric
    characteristics of the luminaire and produce a different light distribution when using an LED tubular
    lamp or T5 semi-luminaire. The distribution of light will be further exacerbated for luminaires with
    semi- or specular reflector systems. The LED tubular lamp may also appear brighter than the
    original fluorescent lamp. This bright light source may affect visual comfort of occupants associated
    with display screen equipment and other tasks. Therefore the modified installation may not meet the
    original design parameters, such as glare control. The luminaire shall therefore be photometrically
    tested with the new light source(s) in accordance with SANS 475 and the results provided to
    designers and users to evaluate the compliance of the modified installation with the relevant
    requirements of SANS 10114-1 or the relevant national legislation (see foreword).

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have never done a retrofit for emergency light fittings, so I cant comment on this section:

3.5 Compatibility with existing maintained emergency luminaires
    3.5.1 The integral control gear of the new LED tubular lamp or a T5 semi-luminaire may not be
    compatible with the power pack and control gear installed in an existing T12/T8/T5 maintained
    emergency luminaire, and may negatively affect the integrity of the emergency luminaire’s
    functionality. Rather than compromising safety by modification of an existing emergency luminaire,
    the installation of a new dedicated emergency luminaire is recommended.
    3.5.2 Retro-fit of emergency luminaires is not recommended.
    3.5.3 Where a luminaire is modified to use a retro-fit T5 semi-luminaire or a LED tubular lamp, the
    luminaire shall remain compliant to the compulsory safety standards. If the T8 or T12 fluorescent
    tubes are inadvertently re-installed to the modified luminaire for T5 semi-luminaire or LED tubular
    lamp, the luminaire shall remain safe.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    One again, if you have a copy of the SANS 1662 certificate for any LED lamp you have purchased please share with us, because I cant seem to find one and non of the electrical wholesalers could provide one today.

3.6 Component requirements
    3.6.1 LED tubular lamps that are intended for use as replacements in standard fluorescent
    luminaires shall comply with the requirements of SANS 1662.
    3.6.2 T5 semi-luminaires that are intended for use as replacements in standard fluorescent
    luminaires shall comply with the requirements of SANS 1664.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    At least I learnt something today, it wasn't a total waste of time, and shame for all those contractors and inspectors who are doing retrofits or signing off COC's without reading this document.

The only 2 things I have not done of the thousands of retrofit we have completed, the revised wiring diagram and the fuses on both lamp holder. By the way I have never seen it done on any of the retrofits I have worked on or replaced lamps.

4 Method of modification
    The luminaires shall be modified as follows:

a) Make sure that the retro-fit LED tubular lamp or T5 semi-luminaire replacement is the correct size
    and type that will replace the current fluorescent type(s) in the installation.

b) Disconnect and lock out the power supply before commencing any work on the luminaire(s).

c) Remove the existing fluorescent lamp(s).

d) Remove the protective cover to reveal the luminaire’s wiring, starter, ballast and power factor
    capacitor (see figure 1).

e) Remove the wiring, starter, capacitor and ballast. Remove all wiring from the supply terminal
    block to the lamp holders.

f) Inspect each lampholder for damage or signs of deterioration (or both), and replace defective
    lampholders when necessary. Ensure that all lampholders are firmly secured to the luminaire.
    When replacing existing deteriorated lamp holders, be sure to use UV resistant and mechanically
    suitable holders to carry the weight of the retro-fit assemblies.
    g) Install a fuse protector or other suitable protective device in the live conductor and connect to
    one of the terminals of the live lamp holder and mark this holder live with “N” and “L”. Install a
    neutral conductor from the terminal strip to the other terminal of the live lamp holder as follows:

1) The fuse shall be such as to protect a standard fluorescent lamp if accidentally installed in
    the modified luminaire.

2) A glow-starterholder shall not be used as a fuse holder.

3) For multiple lamp luminaires, a protector shall be installed in the live lead of each
    lampholder. Internal wiring shall be of size at least 0,4 mm2 (see figure 2).

h) Ensure that all internal wiring is adequately protected against damage due to sharp edges or
    burrs and that all accessible metal parts of class I luminaires are adequately earthed and that the
    integrity of the insulation system of class II luminaires (double insulation) is maintained. Internal
    wiring shall comply with the relevant requirements of SANS 60598-1.

i) Inspect the luminaire for compliance with all safety requirements.

j) Attach the retro-fit label with the revised wiring diagram, next to the supply terminal block. Check
    that the live lamp holder is correctly labelled.

k) Replace the protective cover and attach the retrofit label with the revised wiring diagram so that it
    is visible on the outside of the luminaire.

l) Install the LED tubular lamp or T5 semi-luminaire complete with light source, in the place of the
    old fluorescent lamp.

m) Re-connect the power supply and test the installation for functionality.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What this boils down to, you need to make sure you use approved components ( once again please share if you know of any complaint components with the certification document)

5 Safety and compliance
    A modified product whether in-situ or when placed on the market is required to comply with the
    relevant safety requirements and compulsory electrical safety tests of SANS 60598-1, as for a new
    product. Therefore, the supplier or installer that makes any modification to an existing luminaire has
    the full responsibility for ensuring its safety and compliance in all respects. The supplier or installer
    is required to carry out all of those responsibilities of an original manufacturer or importer including
    labelling and diagrams to ensure the safety of the unit.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am sure a 3 amp would do the job and protect the 0.5 mm solid wire we use to rewire the fittings. I will drill a hole in the side of the fitting and fit the fuse holder (like the ones you get on a stove) so that the customer doesn't have to open the fitting if they blow the fuse, or maybe rather just fit an inline fuse so that I don't alter the fitting structure.

Check if my brother TZ labels are durable and will not fade if a de-greaser (for us laymen) is used. Brother state their labels are rated for industrial applications, so I am sure they will do, but I will check, just in case when I order a new 24 mm tape to make the revised diagram and the 9 mm tape for the L and N for the lamp holders

This is going to make COC inspection and audits a little more interesting.

I must say some of the responses today when enquiring about product certification made me realise, how bad things have got in this industry.

6 Marking
    6.1 After modification the luminaire(s) shall be marked with a durable retro-fit label with the
    following information:
    a) the name of equipment supplier responsible for the modification of the luminaire(s);

b) new circuit diagram;

c) fuse rating; and

d) the lamp holder that is connection to the supply shall be marked “L” and “N”, and the opposite
    lamp holder shall be marked “support”.

6.2 The lettering on the marking label(s) shall be at least 2 mm in size.

6.3 Compliance shall be checked as follows:

a) the presence and legibility of the marking required in 6.1 shall be by visual inspection; and

b) the durability of the marking shall be checked by trying to remove it by rubbing lightly for 15 s
    with a piece of cloth soaked with water and, after drying, for a further 15 s with a piece of cloth
    soaked with hexane. The marking shall be legible after the test.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What a waste of R300, but its all cleaned up and hopefully useful for anyone who is doing retrofits, inspection reports and COC audits. Rant over, time to go enjoy a captains or 10.

Thanks
    So, I've been doing it right all along .........

Where does one get hexane ? ...... I need to do the label test.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    coc LEGAL DOCUMENT states that LIGHTS ARE (is) AN APPPLIANCE, AND are NOT COVERED (by this test report), and as a direct consequent, not BY THE COC.

Contractors across SA have changed 100000000s of 2,3,4,5 fts florries to retrofit led tubes, and I will sign that coc, as the document that I sign exclude lights, or any other appliance for that matter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COC LIGHTS EXCLUDED.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	8532
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 19-May-22 at 09:38 AM.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    So, I've been doing it right all along .........

By your reply it sound slike you dont have a copy of the code?

Where does one get hexane ? ...... I need to do the label test.
    Its a fancy word for degreaser. I am sure if you use a bit of handy handy.

Post a pic of one of your retrofits so we can see how to do it right.

What type of fuse holder and size fuse do you install?

I just need to figure out how to copy the image into Ptouch software and I am good to go.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast