Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewiring old ballast type light fittings for LED tubes

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    There have been massive LED retrofits from a person kitchen to large industrial sites. That COC you issued for the factory where they had a company into retrofit all those 250 Watt low bays, actually valid?
    How many electrical contractors actually got involved in Lamp retrofits when Eskom where pushing it ?

It was all sorts of people that saw a quick buck - We refused to just change lamps and it could be the reason that ARP 032 was introduced.
    We have been back to factories because the fluorescent replacement for 400w Metal halide caused the ignitor and choke to catch fire as they thought they were changing a 400w Mercury vapour.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If I use a wago connector system and bring the wire directly to the lamp holder, non compliant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK0E..._channel=eFIXX
    Just make sure it complies to ARP 032 - To do that you need to ensure you have a copy , once you have bought and read up on it lets us all know if it is worthwhile rewiring fittings or just purchase new .

Silver Member
    Thanks
    If I use a wago connector system and bring the wire directly to the lamp holder, non compliant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK0E..._channel=eFIXX
    Where do you get the containers for the wagon connectors? I've only ever seen the connectors sold loose

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    When doing an inspection, how would one know if it is a retrofit or not ?

The open channel fittings for conventional and led look pretty much the same.
    You can clearly see and old good quality ight fitting (like the old lascon type) compared to the new rubbish people are installing, with "SABS" approval , or maybe not.

Personally I cannot see the problem with an old real good quality " SABS approved" fitting being modified to suit new LED lamps, which by the way have also probably never seen the inside of an SABS lab.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    How many electrical contractors actually got involved in Lamp retrofits when Eskom where pushing it ?

It was all sorts of people that saw a quick buck - We refused to just change lamps and it could be the reason that ARP 032 was introduced.
    We have been back to factories because the fluorescent replacement for 400w Metal halide caused the ignitor and choke to catch fire as they thought they were changing a 400w Mercury vapour.
    One of the biggest suppliers/ contractors have been doing retrofits since year dot in our part of Town.

If I can design, build and install fully automated control systems for water treatment and waste water, disconnect everything in factory, from splitting the machines to installing 800-3000 amp supplies, I am sure my customers and the DOL can trust that I am capable of connecting 2 wires from a connector block to a lamp holder .

By the way I have been looking for a quick buck since 1982 and still looking

6. Thanks given for this post:

Lourens.dL (23-May-22)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Just make sure it complies to ARP 032 - To do that you need to ensure you have a copy , once you have bought and read up on it lets us all know if it is worthwhile rewiring fittings or just purchase new .
    No thanks, I will pass, just more money wasted. I will wait till there is some policing in the industry before I waste any more money on regs.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    No thanks, I will pass, just more money wasted. I will wait till there is some policing in the industry before I waste any more money on regs.
    And that right there, is why we are, where we are....

To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

9. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (18-May-22), GCE (17-May-22)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    And that right there, is why we are, where we are....

If I need a whole book full of regs to wire a lamp holder to a connector block, then yes that is where we are

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    That was an interesting trip, trying to find an SANS ( lets get the wording right) approved LED open channel light fitting.

I visited a number of electrical wholesalers and asked the same question, please supply me with a 5 ft double LED light fitting and the certification document for the fitting.

The response was the same at every one of them, you get that blank look. Someone did mention that the fittings they supply are Home safe approved, so i requested the SANS certification, sorry I don't know what you are talking about.

I also got a response, "we supply hundreds, if not thousands of open channel fittings 5 ft double fittings and not one person/contractor has ever asked for SANS certification"

"And that right there, is why we are, where we are...."

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The next step was to download the document and read it so that I could see what is actually required when installing or retrofitting a 5 ft LED light fitting.

I would assume that I would be offered a document which complies to one of the following regs.

SANS 475, Luminaires for interior lighting, streetlighting and floodlighting – Performance
    requirements.
    SANS 1662, Self-ballasted LED tubular lamps for general lighting services for voltage > 50 V –
    Safety specification.
    SANS 1664, Semi-luminaires for T5 fluorescent lamps – Safety requirements.
    SANS 10114-1, Interior lighting – Part 1: Artificial lighting of interiors.
    SANS 60598-1/IEC 60598-1, Luminaires – Part 1: General requirements and tests.

Please feel free to attach one of the documents you keep on record from the supplier, for the open channel fitting you supply and install.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast