Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home electrical safety devices

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobZA View Post
    Thanks Derlyn. What you say makes sense from a practical point off view.

And I note what Leecat said ... but I have certainly seen some installations where the main switch is only an earth leakage switch without overload. Again makes me think the regs need rework
    I tend to disagree that the regulations need work.
    What is needed is for suitable qualified people to do the work and for users of electricity to learn that Electrical contractors need to be registered before allowing them to work on their installations.

Clause 5.4.3 under fundamentals in the beginning of the regulations is clear that equipment shall be suitable rated. If you install a 63Amp earth leakage isolator type, then there needs to be at least a 63Amp C/breaker installed before the ELU.

Same way that you keep seeing 63Amp D/Pole isolators in D/boards with 80Amp C/breakers from municipality side - COC is invalid as the isolator is not suitable protected.

To go one further , the reg states " It shall also be able to carry the current that is likely to flow under abnormal conditions and for the period that the current is likely to flow." If you have a CB manufactured by A protecting an ELU manufactured by B , how do you know that the ELU will withstand the tripping curves from a different manufacture unless it has been tested as such ?

5.4.3 Current
    The equipment shall be suitable for operation at the maximum steady (r.m.s.)
    current to which it is likely to be subjected. It shall also be able to carry the
    current that is likely to flow under abnormal conditions and for the period that
    the current is likely to flow.
    NOTE The period that an abnormal current will flow is equal to the operating time of
    any protective device.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Derlyn (10-May-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    I tend to disagree that the regulations need work.
    What is needed is for suitable qualified people to do the work and for users of electricity to learn that Electrical contractors need to be registered before allowing them to work on their installations.

Clause 5.4.3 under fundamentals in the beginning of the regulations is clear that equipment shall be suitable rated. If you install a 63Amp earth leakage isolator type, then there needs to be at least a 63Amp C/breaker installed before the ELU.

Same way that you keep seeing 63Amp D/Pole isolators in D/boards with 80Amp C/breakers from municipality side - COC is invalid as the isolator is not suitable protected.

To go one further , the reg states " It shall also be able to carry the current that is likely to flow under abnormal conditions and for the period that the current is likely to flow." If you have a CB manufactured by A protecting an ELU manufactured by B , how do you know that the ELU will withstand the tripping curves from a different manufacture unless it has been tested as such ?

5.4.3 Current
    The equipment shall be suitable for operation at the maximum steady (r.m.s.)
    current to which it is likely to be subjected. It shall also be able to carry the
    current that is likely to flow under abnormal conditions and for the period that
    the current is likely to flow.
    NOTE The period that an abnormal current will flow is equal to the operating time of
    any protective device.
    @ GCE

I agree 100% that the regulations are spot on as far as this subject of overcurrent and shortcircuit protection is concerned.

However

In my opinion, there are grey areas as far as earthing and bonding is concerned.

I, like our brother Dylboy, am particularly interested in understanding earthing and bonding as much as is humanly possible, but after a couple of weeks of studying same, am still scratching my coconut regarding a couple of regs especially concerning domestic installations as that is where I do and have been doing most of my work.

I will in due course, list my concerns and maybe make 1 or 2 suggestions that in my opinion should clear up these grey areas.

Edited at 17.16

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I have recently learnt why we Earth to Tera, to keep voltages floating to only 230V to earth...
    Now I wish we had a course or something that covers more of this.

Not only earthing but everything.

I guess could do N6 electrical engineering so perhaps I should look into that but still.

What is basic to some is not for others and plays a part in huge issues of CoC etc

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

5. Thanks given for this post:

Leecatt (16-May-22)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123