Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Geyser earthing and bonding

  1. #21
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    The geyser combo was a nice addition to the circuit breaker catalogue, just imagine how cool it would be if you could buy a geyser combo with built in RCBO function and even better arc fault protection

    That's me done for today, I can hear the generator running out of fuel. 2 days and still no power.

  2. #22
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Us toppies with 40 years plus experience in the field, not in the classroom, know what it's like attending to an earth fault at 2am and the whole installation is in darkness because some bright spark has fed all the lights through the earth leakage. Alfred M, it is safer for the lights to remain on, should there be an earth fault.

    I can also imagine you buying a new stove every six months when it starts tripping the earth leakage. New stoves are sold with specific instructions not to connect them through earth leakage, for a good reason. It's called nuisance tripping. Yes, my brother, there exists something called nuisance tripping.

    Most of us toppies who are active here on the forum are not as you say, stuck in a rut. We all have the latest copies of sans 10142 and strive to keep up to date with the latest regulations.

    We do however know where to draw the line as far as safety is concerned. One day when you start quoting against your competitors, you will realize that if you don't draw that line in the right place, you gonna come short. You either not gonna get any work or you not gonna show a profit, one of the two.

    I would never have the audacity to tell someone like GCE to learn something. Rather learn from him as much as you can. It will come in handy and that's a promise.

    Peace out.
    The toppies needs to have headlamps when called out at 2am in the morning the point i am trying to make is you wont know about an earth fault if it doesn't go through the RCD and that is a safety risk to owner changing a light bulb or to you as contractor.
    Why would you need to change a stove every 6 months should it be RCD protected are you now going to change your geyser every six months because it is now RCD protected. All my curcuits in my house has been RCD protected for the last 25 years and i had very few "nuisance tripping" issues but on a few occasions when it tripped it was a pot boiling over on the stove(solid plates) that it is a good thing right it protected my wife in that instance. Oven element did trip RCD after 15 years because it needed replacement. The safety factor protecting all curcuits outweighs the discomfort factor.
    In your last paragraph you seems to suggest that i was disrespectful towards GCE not at all i simply saying we all learn every day unless the toppies feel they don't learn anymore by the way i am also in the toppie crowd. But still where this all started a few presentation slides posted now i am made out to be disrespectful. I am sure i will be learning a lot of new things in this forum from GCE and other toppies and non toppies
    Peace ✌️ out brother all good

  3. #23
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    767
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 197 Times in 166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred M View Post
    The toppies needs to have headlamps when called out at 2am in the morning the point i am trying to make is you wont know about an earth fault if it doesn't go through the RCD and that is a safety risk to owner changing a light bulb or to you as contractor.
    Why would you need to change a stove every 6 months should it be RCD protected are you now going to change your geyser every six months because it is now RCD protected. All my curcuits in my house has been RCD protected for the last 25 years and i had very few "nuisance tripping" issues but on a few occasions when it tripped it was a pot boiling over on the stove(solid plates) that it is a good thing right it protected my wife in that instance. Oven element did trip RCD after 15 years because it needed replacement. The safety factor protecting all curcuits outweighs the discomfort factor.
    In your last paragraph you seems to suggest that i was disrespectful towards GCE not at all i simply saying we all learn every day unless the toppies feel they don't learn anymore by the way i am also in the toppie crowd. But still where this all started a few presentation slides posted now i am made out to be disrespectful. I am sure i will be learning a lot of new things in this forum from GCE and other toppies and non toppies
    Peace ✌️ out brother all good
    RCD were originally introduce to protect portable appliances especially the leads to portable appliances because the risk was always there that the earth connection could come loose or some that did not have an earth.
    The rcd would pick up an imbalance on live and neutral and trip.

    Fixed appliances and general wiring don't have that problem and if earthing is carried out correctly there is absolutely no reason to put them on RCD. On an earth fault the circuit breaker will trip.

    According to my sources the RCD on a geyser was strongly motivated by one person sitting on the technical workgroup and that person should have retired long time ago from the industry
    There was no need to put geysers on RCD , the only time it becomes a problem is if the earthing is incorrect.

  4. Thanks given for this post:

    Derlyn (26-May-22)

  5. #24
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    RCD were originally introduce to protect portable appliances especially the leads to portable appliances because the risk was always there that the earth connection could come loose or some that did not have an earth.
    The rcd would pick up an imbalance on live and neutral and trip.

    Fixed appliances and general wiring don't have that problem and if earthing is carried out correctly there is absolutely no reason to put them on RCD. On an earth fault the circuit breaker will trip.

    According to my sources the RCD on a geyser was strongly motivated by one person sitting on the technical workgroup and that person should have retired long time ago from the industry
    There was no need to put geysers on RCD , the only time it becomes a problem is if the earthing is incorrect.

    Let me get this right, so one person can control the entire SANS regulations content, did all the sheep just bleat , maybe because they couldn't come up with a better proposal ?

    I am surprised at your response, I can only assume you dont do much domestic work or domestic COC's. People cant even fill out the form correctly, now you expect everyone to bond and earth geysers correctly.

    When last did you look at a geyser replaced by approved insurance plumber?

    I find geysers with the wire twisted around the pipe with no clamp and and no earth continuity conductor.

    From my experience in the field, and the crap workmanship I have to deal with, everything should be on earth leakage for the customers safety.

  6. #25
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    767
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 197 Times in 166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Let me get this right, so one person can control the entire SANS regulations content, did all the sheep just bleat , maybe because they couldn't come up with a better proposal ?

    I am surprised at your response, I can only assume you dont do much domestic work or domestic COC's. People cant even fill out the form correctly, now you expect everyone to bond and earth geysers correctly.

    When last did you look at a geyser replaced by approved insurance plumber?

    I find geysers with the wire twisted around the pipe with no clamp and and no earth continuity conductor.

    From my experience in the field, and the crap workmanship I have to deal with, everything should be on earth leakage for the customers safety.
    We cant keep making rules and adding requirements just because we expect people to do crap work.
    If we stop doing that and people get shocked and a couple of people die then maybe people will stop hiring the ones that take short cuts

    And let the contractor sit in court on a murder charge then you will see an increase in quality work .

  7. Thank given for this post:

    Derlyn (26-May-22), Dylboy (26-May-22)

  8. #26
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    We cant keep making rules and adding requirements just because we expect people to do crap work.
    If we stop doing that and people get shocked and a couple of people die then maybe people will stop hiring the ones that take short cuts

    And let the contractor sit in court on a murder charge then you will see an increase in quality work .
    I wish I could live in your Truman bubble.

    The reality is the workmanship is not going to get any better, you sound like you have been around the block a few time, have you seen an improvement in the industry in the past 10 years.

    We need special solutions for special people, any sensible person would tell you not to walk on the freeway, there is a bus stop/taxi rank on the N2 , if you dont believe me ask Dave, its on the freeway just up from his offices

    It sounds like the old man is a lot wiser than you give him credit, maybe its a good thing he hasn't retired yet.

    I would say rather safe than sorry, so putting the whole house on earth leakage, including the stove, geyser, gate motor and everything else which has 230/400 Volts may be a slight inconvenience but in the long run way safer, is that not the aim of the SANS 10142. If you go right to the top of document, you find it under the introduction.

    Introduction

    The aim of this part of SANS 10142 is to ensure that people, animals and
    property are protected from hazards that can arise from the operation of an
    electrical installation under both normal and fault conditions. An electrical
    installation has to provide protection against:


    This why, like most things in this country, I just smile and laugh at regs like the ZA plug, would I rather follow a ridiculous rule like the ZA plug or create a safer environment for the customer. I think everyone who follows this platform will know my answer.

  9. #27
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Anyone not familiar with the truman bubble (show).

    One day when I grow up I also want to go live in an estate, just like all the others rich people.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlnm...lassicTrailers

  10. #28
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I wish I could live in your Truman bubble.

    The reality is the workmanship is not going to get any better, you sound like you have been around the block a few time, have you seen an improvement in the industry in the past 10 years.

    We need special solutions for special people, any sensible person would tell you not to walk on the freeway, there is a bus stop/taxi rank on the N2 , if you dont believe me ask Dave, its on the freeway just up from his offices

    It sounds like the old man is a lot wiser than you give him credit, maybe its a good thing he hasn't retired yet.

    I would say rather safe than sorry, so putting the whole house on earth leakage, including the stove, geyser, gate motor and everything else which has 230/400 Volts may be a slight inconvenience but in the long run way safer, is that not the aim of the SANS 10142. If you go right to the top of document, you find it under the introduction.

    Introduction

    The aim of this part of SANS 10142 is to ensure that people, animals and
    property are protected from hazards that can arise from the operation of an
    electrical installation under both normal and fault conditions. An electrical
    installation has to provide protection against:


    This why, like most things in this country, I just smile and laugh at regs like the ZA plug, would I rather follow a ridiculous rule like the ZA plug or create a safer environment for the customer. I think everyone who follows this platform will know my answer.
    Isetech with what you said i 100% agree safety is a much higher priority as comfort well said thank you. That is the reason UK is strongly leaning towards RCBO's

  11. #29
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    If a 2.5 mm min. wire size is required for earthing and bonding of a geyser, how is it possible that inspectors are passing inspection reports and issuing COC's for properties which are fed with a 2.5 mm twin+E, the earth wire in the twin is certainly not 2.5mm and the "certified twin+E" being sold on social media platforms for a mere R550, I dont believe the red and black is 2.5 mm copper.

    Old installations will still pass and in some cases where 2.5 mm house wire was used, in most cases a 2.5 mm surfix or twin is used.

  12. #30
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Fourways
    Posts
    306
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    The supply to the geyser could be the 2.5mm and the 1.5mm earth wire is fine for earthing but then they use a separate conductor of 2.5mm to bond and it does not have to be by the geyser either... We just do it at the geyser as easier generally but the bonding could be somewhere else.

    Also if you getting the 0.2ohm reading or less then it's a pass on tests.
    Visual you may not see where it is actually bonded.

    Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Article] New earth bonding test
    By Alfred M in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 21-Apr-22, 06:02 PM
  2. Geyser on, geyser on. Does it save electricity?
    By Annetta in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-Aug-21, 03:56 PM
  3. Bonding tray of the year.
    By Derlyn in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Apr-21, 10:36 PM
  4. Bonding
    By Gtfast in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-Aug-19, 07:38 AM
  5. Earthing and the CoC
    By WallyL in forum General Regulatory Compliance Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-Jan-11, 12:06 AM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •