Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geyser earthing and bonding

Silver Member
    Thanks

Geyser earthing and bonding

I notice a lot of people uses 1.5 and 2.5 surfix on geysers I know the answer to this, based on the amps and distance I can do this.. Also the cost of the cable is less My question is just if bonding and earthing requires at least 2.5 earth conductor is the geyser then leggily earthed and bonded or do I miss something somewhere?
    I prefer, at least, a 4mm conductor for geysers and aircons. Depending on the stove's requirements I use 4mm or 6mm

Greetings and enjoy your weekend

Gold Member
    Thanks
    My thought process is the geyser can be a 1.5mm² earth for earthing purposes, however the pipes need to be bonded with a 2.5mm² so if the roof is bonded then a short 2.5mm² to geyser pipes (hot and cold ) is ok.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Use copper Earth strap between hot and cold water pipes for earth bonding
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25681_740x.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	8517

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    I notice a lot of people uses 1.5 and 2.5 surfix on geysers I know the answer to this, based on the amps and distance I can do this.. Also the cost of the cable is less My question is just if bonding and earthing requires at least 2.5 earth conductor is the geyser then leggily earthed and bonded or do I miss something somewhere?
    I prefer, at least, a 4mm conductor for geysers and aircons. Depending on the stove's requirements I use 4mm or 6mm

Greetings and enjoy your weekend
    I am currently busy with the unit standard assessment and this presentation came up on the subject earth/ bonding of geysers see below slides of correct procedure

Name:	Screenshot_2022-05-19-21-47-14-894_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	8534

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred M View Post
    I am currently busy with the unit standard assessment and this presentation came up on the subject earth/ bonding of geysers see below slides of correct procedure

Name:	Screenshot_2022-05-19-21-47-14-894_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	8534
    Sorry i see the slides are not very clear but basically hot and cold water pipes needs to be bonded as close to geyser as possible even the geyser flange needs to be bonded to cold water pipe with bamba straps using brass bolts and nuts. Then 2.5mm green/yellow or bare copper conductor back to db main earth bar. Wiring needs to be dedicated with earth leakage protection and curcuit breaker and double pole isolator close to geyser flange. 2.5mm Surfix or flat twin+earth the earth conductor must not be used for main earth of geyser the earth conductor is not 2.5mm. Bathroom zoning was also part of this presentation,ip ratings and electrical installations in bathrooms very interesting.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    Couple of points that I would tend to disagree with

hot and cold water pipes needs to be bonded as close to geyser as possible even the geyser flange needs to be bonded to cold water pipe with bamba straps using brass bolts and nuts Then 2.5mm green/yellow or bare copper conductor back to db main earth bar.
    I don't agree that strap needs to be used and back my statement up with with Note 2 under 6.13 as pasted below

6.13 Bonding
    NOTE 1 The aim of bonding is to bring all the bonded parts to the same electrical
    potential.
    NOTE 2 No external conductor is required if compliance with the requirements for
    continuity can be proved by the test in 8.6.2.

Wiring needs to be dedicated with earth leakage protection and curcuit breaker
    Agree that a dedicated circuit but more than one geyser can be on the circuit
    6.16.2.2 Dedicated circuits shall be provided for water heaters and there may
    be more than one water heater on each circuit.

double pole isolator close to geyser flange.
    6.16.1.4 The disconnecting device shall be positioned
    a) within 1,5 m from the appliance,

2.5mm Surfix or flat twin+earth the earth conductor must not be used for main earth of geyser the earth conductor is not 2.5mm.
    No where in the regulations is there a statement that says you may not use a wire size less than 2,5sqmm to earth a geyser

To bond a geyser yes - but if the geyser is bonded due to the copper pipes been bonded elsewhere and the readings being OK , then I should be able to earth the geyser with less than 2,5sqmm

7. Thank given for this post:

Derlyn (21-May-22), Dylboy (21-May-22)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi
    Couple of points that I would tend to disagree with

I don't agree that strap needs to be used and back my statement up with with Note 2 under 6.13 as pasted below

6.13 Bonding
    NOTE 1 The aim of bonding is to bring all the bonded parts to the same electrical
    potential.
    NOTE 2 No external conductor is required if compliance with the requirements for
    continuity can be proved by the test in 8.6.2.

Agree that a dedicated circuit but more than one geyser can be on the circuit
    6.16.2.2 Dedicated circuits shall be provided for water heaters and there may
    be more than one water heater on each circuit.

6.16.1.4 The disconnecting device shall be positioned
    a) within 1,5 m from the appliance,

No where in the regulations is there a statement that says you may not use a wire size less than 2,5sqmm to earth a geyser

To bond a geyser yes - but if the geyser is bonded due to the copper pipes been bonded elsewhere and the readings being OK , then I should be able to earth the geyser with less than 2,5sqmm
    GCE learn something .Look at the person's credentials who did this presentation!!!?

Name:	Screenshot_2022-05-20-20-15-22-685_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	8536

Name:	Screenshot_2022-05-20-20-13-05-075_com.whatsapp.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	8537

Name:	Screenshot_2022-05-20-20-12-38-399_com.whatsapp.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	8538

Name:	Screenshot_2022-05-20-20-12-22-232_com.whatsapp.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	8539

Thanks
    I agree 100% with GCE's reply to all the points raised. GCE responded with the appropriate regulations in SANS 10143. Now let the presenter of the psentation back up hi's statements with the appropriate regs.

Maybe, just maybe you are confusing an earth continuity conductor with a bonding conductor.

Thanks
    Just one more point.
    The cable manufacturer's manufacture the cable taking everything into account.

I doubt very much that the manufacturers of FTE would make a cable with an ECC that cannot be used for what it is intended to be.

What makes the earthing of a geyser different to that of a socket outlet ? Nothing.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred M View Post
    GCE learn something .Look at the person's credentials who did this presentation!!!?
    I was not querying his credentials - Rather take the time to look at the regs I have pasted and tell me where I have quoted the regs incorrectly

If what I have pasted is correct then query the presenter

To me it would appear that the presenter has an opinion that does not take the regulations into account -

With regards to learning something - I did , I read the statements you made and went to check the regulations - I differ from your/presenters opinion and backed myself with stating the relevant regulations .
    So Alfred M - go read the regulations and show me why my statements are incorrect

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast