Thread: Crabtree modular plugs and regulations

Silver Member
    Thanks

Crabtree modular plugs and regulations

Good day
    Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what the regulations say about the new crabtree 6x4 classic range plugs, https://crabtree.co.za/wp-content/up.../6970-101P.png and the diamond range plugs, https://crabtree.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Diamond-9-Way-Combo-copy.png https://crabtree.co.za/product/diamo...e-pole-switch/ and the 9way plugs and 18way plugs.. Do I need a switch for the modules in the plug or not? Do I use one 20A breaker per plug with 2.5mm wire or how do I wire it up to the db? Any advice, the sales rep was thorough and very friendly but had no idea on rules and regulations

Greetings
    Thys Fourie

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Unfortunately Crabtree don't think it is necessary to employ technical people anymore - The rep that came to see me could not put the screw into the plate

You do not need to switch a socket .
    You install the socket cluster as you would any normal single socket and depending on your needs 1 on a circuit or 20 on a circuit - The potential loading will determine how many circuits you need

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input, I know SANS agree with this but is there not a max potential in watts for a plug circuit, I think something like 5000 watts per circuit? 5000/230=21.74 amps just asking

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Yes 80% of conductor size is good practice 2.5mm=27A x 80%=21.6A/curcuit so 5000w is spot on

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    Thanks for the input, I know SANS agree with this but is there not a max potential in watts for a plug circuit, I think something like 5000 watts per circuit? 5000/230=21.74 amps just asking
    According to SANS 10142-1 Table 6.27 the max protection for 2,5sqmm wire is 25 Amps

On socket circuits suppling 16Amp sockets you shall not go over the rating of 125% of the socket rating which is where the 20 Amp protection comes in on socket circuits ( 6.15.5 b )

Anticipated load shall not exceed 5Kw ( 6.15.2.2) - If you were in a shopping center doing passageway sockets you might put 20 sockets on the circuit as the chances are that only one would be used at a time - In a bakery you would maybe only put 3 on as the chances are that all 3 would be used at the same time. The qty of sockets on a circuit would depend on the possible application of the area you are wiring

6.15.2 Rating
    6.15.2.1 Socket-outlets shall be rated in accordance with the intended load.
    Unless otherwise allowed in this part of SANS 10142, socket-outlets rated at
    less than 16 A shall not be used in an electrical installation.
    6.15.2.2 The anticipated load of a circuit that feeds socket-outlets shall not
    exceed 5 kW.

b) the rating of the circuit protection shall not exceed 125 % of the rating of
    the lowest rated socket-outlet, or each socket-outlet that has a rating of
    less than that of the circuit protection shall be individually protected against
    overcurrent.

Table 6.27 — Maximum protection rating for nominal cross-sectional
    area of small conductors

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Mar-22)