Thread: Free standing gas stove and DB in the same room

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Free standing gas stove and DB in the same room

I have a situation where the DB (not IP 44) is mounted above the gas stove and there is a old stove isolator with a 16 amp socket outlet.

The gas installer slide the gas stove 200 mm to the left of the stove isolator/socket, and fitted the gas bottle (9kg) below the DB and isolator and signed off the COC.

I have advised the customer that we should relocate the DB to the passage.

The customer doesnt want the DB relocated due to the cost.

The catch now is that I have to upgrade the DB and split the power essential and non essential and make it at least IP 44 or I have considered upgrading to an IP 65 rated DB because it is in the kitchen ... just because of general kettle and cooking steam ... oil deposits ...etc ... wipe your hand along the top of a kitchen cupboard and you will know what I am talking about ... but I cant do any work on the DB due to the location and would not be able to issue a COC.

The plan is to move the gas stove and 9 kg bottle to the opposite wall in the kitchen about 3-4 m away.

Will it be legal to have a 9 kg bottle in the same room but on an opposite wall?

Looking at the regs in the link below ... I see you cannot have a socket under the counter in the same compartment ... nothing stops you from installing in in the next compartment ... the diagram also shows 200 mm to the left or to the right of the hob.

I dont know if all these regs apply to the 9 kg bottle inside the cupboard ?

https://thegasman.co.za/pages/lp-gas-regulations
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The oven would only need to be connected to an isolator if it is rated above 16 amps ... therefore if you fit the socket outlet below the counter on the opposite side to the gas bottle ... I dont see why there would be a problem. Consideration of the oven rating taken into account. The same as a free standing electric stove supplied with a 16 amp plug top. The fact that it has 3 plates and a bake and grill element ... it is only rated under 16 amps .
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Yep. Those 3 plate stoves have a selector switch that prevents the use of more than 2 plates at a time.

When the oven is used, only the small plate can be used simultaneously, keeping the rating below the required 16A.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The gas installer slide the gas stove 200 mm to the left of the stove isolator/socket, and fitted the gas bottle (9kg) below the DB and isolator and signed off the COC.
    I would not think that the gas guy can sign his COC off being under a DB and looking at the regs for bottles - That particular one does not reference 9kg bottles so lets assume that the gas guy actually knows - He signed it off and Electrical regs ask us to check , so you have checked , he was happy .

Will it be legal to have a 9 kg bottle in the same room but on an opposite wall?
    If the gas guys has issued a coc with it under the DB , I dont see a problem with it in the same room - You have checked and he is happy - I dont find anything in our regs besides the referral to the gas regs .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I have a situation where the DB (not IP 44) is mounted above the gas stove and there is a old stove isolator with a 16 amp socket outlet.

I have advised the customer that we should relocate the DB to the passage.

The customer doesnt want the DB relocated due to the cost.

The catch now is that I have to upgrade the DB and split the power essential and non essential and make it at least IP 44 or I have considered upgrading to an IP 65 rated DB because it is in the kitchen ... just because of general kettle and cooking steam ... oil deposits ...etc ... wipe your hand along the top of a kitchen cupboard and you will know what I am talking about ... but I cant do any work on the DB due to the location and would not be able to issue a COC.

The plan is to move the gas stove and 9 kg bottle to the opposite wall in the kitchen about 3-4 m away.

Looking at the regs in the link below ... I see you cannot have a socket under the counter in the same compartment ... nothing stops you from installing in in the next compartment ... the diagram also shows 200 mm to the left or to the right of the hob.

I dont know if all these regs apply to the 9 kg bottle inside the cupboard ?

https://thegasman.co.za/pages/lp-gas-regulations
    Looking at the gas regulations on the gasman site that you attached, I see it say's that the container ( doesn't specify size , so presumably means any size container ) must not be closer than 5 meters from any switchable point.(f) That seems a bit extreme but I suppose there is a reason. It means that the gas line between the stove and container can never be shorter than 5 meters because the stove is connected to a socket outlet.

I wonder if that includes non switchable socket outlets. Maybe one could fit non switchable socket outlets. If there's an isolator involved, you knackered.

Edited at 18.28

Looking at those regulations again, the heading of that section is " outside placement " so it seems as if the 5m from a switch thingy is only for containers that are outside.

The more I try and understand, the more "deurmekaar" I become ...... and to think I thought I knew what was cutting.
    Last edited by Derlyn; 21-Feb-22 at 06:35 PM.