Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pool pump DB, fixed appliance or sub DB

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Pool pump DB, fixed appliance or sub DB

Section 3 Fixed appliance circuits - pool pump.

Would you tick the pool pump DB as a fixed appliance or a Pool DB ?

Would you regard the pool DB, pump and pool light as a fixed appliance ?

What happens if the Poll DB has other circuit connected, like garden lights or a weather socket outlet in the garden or maybe even a gate with pillar lights?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hello

Finally back, Tapatalk app gave me shite and also been a bit busy.

Trying to catch up on the stove isolator thread but saw this haha.

I too wish to find a definitive answer or reasoning for which ever.

I before treated each pool DB as a sub DB and got its own test report. They pretty much always fail those pool DBs for various reasons so always a headache and client says "but it works why must I pay".

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Generally No pool company does a pool board in compliant way as they not electricians but know how to connect a breaker.Often has connector blocks and no main switch if is a sub board.Also pool pump needs it own plug as it is a fixed appliance.Mosly wired in.Pool boards...normally a mess and then you work on them timers can go funny.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If the pool db feeds swimming pool only - has a separate isolator mounted above the DB as required under fixed appliance then it can be a fixed appliance.

The minute you take a garden light or plug for the lawnmower from that "pool DB " it then becomes a sub DB and needs to comply to DB's

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (16-Feb-22)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    If the pool db feeds swimming pool only - has a separate isolator mounted above the DB as required under fixed appliance then it can be a fixed appliance.
    Something I have never seen ... an isolator above the DB ... mainly because the Pool DB has a main switch pre wired in the DB ... so if there is no isolator before the DB its a Sub DB.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (16-Feb-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post

The minute you take a garden light or plug for the lawnmower from that "pool DB " it then becomes a sub DB and needs to comply to DB's
    That's been my understanding, except using the term "control panel" when it is not a DB
    Could there also be a lockable isolator in the supplying DB rather than an isolator within arms reach of the control panel?
    (Yes. Yes. I know "lockable isolators" are another can of worms )

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hahaha also thought of the lockable CB hahaha. But yes if we change the name to a control panel then it would not need a VoC as a sub DB as far as I know...?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So lets clear this up

A pool DB, pump and light fed from a safety transformer can be regarded as an appliance ... which would exclude it from the COC ... yes (provided it is fed from a double pole isolator which is not located in the pool DB)

however if you add garden lights, a spare socket outlet for the lawn mower etc it would then be deemed a "SUB DB" and included as part of the COC.

If you are a smart sparkie you will fit a combo breaker/isolator (all circuit breakers are lockable ... because as a sparkie/inspector part of your tool kit is a lockout kit for safe isolation) in the DB labeled pool DB. Which then makes the pool guy responsible for the pool DB, pump , light etc ... one less thing for the inspector to worry about.

Just when we thought it was that easy ... what if the pool DB is on earth leakage ... will the same rules which apply for fans be used for the pool ... no double pole isolator required if it fed from earth leakage.

I can see ne w amendments coming soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Just when we thought it was that easy ... what if the pool DB is on earth leakage ... will the same rules which apply for fans be used for the pool ... no double pole isolator required if it fed from earth leakage.
    If it is a fan, it needs an isolator. The earth leakage exception applies specifically to fans incorporating a light.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

If you are a smart sparkie you will fit a combo breaker/isolator (all circuit breakers are lockable ... because as a sparkie/inspector part of your tool kit is a lockout kit for safe isolation) in the DB labeled pool DB. Which then makes the pool guy responsible for the pool DB, pump , light etc ... one less thing for the inspector to worry about.
    The double pole as lockable in the DB without a fixed lockable device on the circuit breaker , in my opinion will not count - How does the pool guy have a CB isolator device

With regards to COC , it is still required under 6.16.1.10 same as a light fitting is not part of the coc but if the wiring is exposed you need to rectify , eg covers missing from fluorescent channels

6.16.1.10 The wiring between different parts of a fixed appliance that are
    installed separately is part of the fixed installation, even where it is supplied
    from a socket-outlet, unless such wiring is less than 3 m in length.
    Such wiring shall be protected by separate overload protection unless its
    current-carrying capacity is such that the circuit protection of the socket-outlet
    circuit will provide protection or that part of the appliance has built-in thermal
    overload protection.
    NOTE Where the length of wiring exceeds 3 m, the impedance and the functioning of
    the protective devices need to be considered to satisfy the overcurrent protection
    requirements in this part of SANS 10142.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast