Thread: How many COC's and pages are required

Diamond Member
    Thanks

How many COC's and pages are required

If you sell a house and there is a main DB and a sub DB ... how many COC's should be issued ?

Why would you issue a COC with an NM number and another COC with NMR number.

edit: it seems a yellow COC would be NM and a blue COC is for reticulation NMR

I would have thought a COC with a test report for the main DB ... top left corner ... test report for DB/supply : Main DB
    with additional pages added 1 yes ... which would be test report for DB/supply : Sub DB.
    Last edited by ians; 15-Feb-22 at 02:33 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Why would you issue a yellow general COC for a main DB and blue reticulation COC for a sub DB ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    We issue a COC per DB mainly because the consultants insist that it happens that way .

The blue coc , is for reticulation , like a townhouse complex , block of flats or a shopping center where you are basically issuing as the " supplier" to each point of control( flat/shop) and then issue flat or shop would have a COC as they could all be different users

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have had a rather interesting day today trying to clear up a few loose ends ... living and learning ... I just wish more electricians would openly discuss the challenges we face on a daily basis ... and ask questions if they dont understand ... I have been doing this shyte for many years ... and still have a lot to learn and get things wrong.

As GCE pointed out the blue COC is not for sub DB's ... it was designed for specific applications as noted.

With regards to the responsible person as per the COC ... it seems I might need to do a little more research and understand the wording USER AND LESSOR a little better.

Who is responsible for the electrical installation and when the responsivity is shifted and to who.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets start with the meaning:

user
    /ˈjuːzə/
    Learn to pronounce
    See definitions in:
    All
    Narcotics
    Law
    noun
    a person who uses or operates something.
    "the user should press return and a message will be displayed"
    LAW
    the continued use or enjoyment of a right.
    "any oral permission given within the prescription period would negative user as of right"

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    lessor
    noun [ C ] LAW specialized
    UK /lesˈɔːr/ US /lesˈɔːr/

a person who allows someone to use something that they own, such as land, a building, or a piece of equipment, according to a lease (= legal agreement)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The user ... is the person who rents a property the user ... or is it a little more complicated ?

If you rent a portion of the building from the owner living or operating on the same property ... do you become responsible for that room ?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A simple question .. .by law what would a valid COC consist of if you purchase a house with a main DB, a Sub DB in the garage and a pool DB ... 1 page 2 maybe 3 maybe 4 ?

Lets try get it right.

Page 1 - (yellow) Annexure 1 "General electrical installation certificate of compliance"

The back of page 1 or a separate page 2 if a copy is sent via email.

"Test report for electrical installations to SANS 10142-1"

under Test report for DB: Main DB

Additional pages added tick yes numbered added 2

It will display the COC no: and the date of issue.

Another page which will have "Test report" at the top of the page.

Test report for DB/supply: Sub DB 1

Then another page with "Test report"

Test report for DB/supply: Pool DB or sub DB 2

If you have the original yellow COC it would be 3 pages.

If you have copies of the COC and testy reports ... it would be 4 pages.

Basically Annexure 1 and 3 test reports.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The next question would be is it ok to issue a COC for each DB ... why would you want to waste time filling out 3 annexure 1 pages with the same information.

Is it a requirement ... yes or no ... from my discussion today ... I would say no.

However as GCE pointed out if the consultant requires a COC for each DB ... they pay the bill you supply as many copies as they require.

It could also be a requirement for a situation similar to the one I have at the moment ... where there is a main DB and 5 Sub DB's ... each DB is in a separate shop with a prepaid meter installed at each DB.

I have advised the customer to get the owner to provide an initial COC for the empty shell (including plugs, lights, aircon and a geyser) ... we will install all the other stuff like an inverter and dedicated socket outlets, additional lighting etc. I will issue a supplementary COC for the electrical stuff we install.

When the customer moves out we will disconnect and strip every thing we installed ... tear up the supplementary COC and makes sure the shell is back to the same standard as it was when we moved in.

We do this for our customers who rent factories and even domestic properties ... I know it sounds like a waste of time ... trust me there is no confusion when it is time to collect the deposit.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The user ... is the person who rents a property the user ... or is it a little more complicated ?

If you rent a portion of the building from the owner living or operating on the same property ... do you become responsible for that room ?
    The Electrical Installation regulations set it out nicely has to who is responsible - Most lease agreements now include that piece

Responsibility for electrical installations
    2. (1) Subject to subregulation (3), the user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall be responsible for the safety, safe use and maintenance of the electrical installation he or she uses or leases.
    (2) The user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall be responsible for the safety of the conductors on his or her premises connecting the electrical installation to the point of supply in the case where the point of supply is not the point of control
    (3) Where there is a written undertaking between a user or lessor and a lessee whereby the responsibility for an electrical installation has been transferred to the lessee, the lessee shall be responsible for that installation as if he or she were the user or lessor

11. Thanks given for this post:

ians (16-Feb-22)