Thread: Labour rates according to area

Thanks

Labour rates according to area

Hi, All

Anyone who can assist here .A new government gazette has been issued about the new labour rates for bargaining council for the electrical industry by Minister Nxesi according to areas A-H.Im in Mpumalanga ,Can anyone assist me which category does my area fall into .

Thanking you in advance

IT MOKOENA

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tshepo Mokoena View Post
    Hi, All

Anyone who can assist here .A new government gazette has been issued about the new labour rates for bargaining council for the electrical industry by Minister Nxesi according to areas A-H.Im in Mpumalanga ,Can anyone assist me which category does my area fall into .

Thanking you in advance

IT MOKOENA
    Have a look at the site link below - Think you fall into Area B - Double check it

http://www.nbcei.co.za/wages.html

3. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (10-Feb-22), ians (14-Feb-22)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Just wondering if its just me but is it the bargaining council rates the main reason that small business don't employ more staff?

I must pay an electrician R109.38? I have not come accross an electrician I could generate, consistantly, that much from. I mean all the good ones have there own business's.

Yes they have the papers and a trade test but most have no idea and none woud I be able to generate R109.38 + running costs from.

I'm happy to pay anyone a fair wage but I for R109.38 and hour he/she would have to pretty much be able to run the business for me to make it viable with current running costs.

How are you guys managing it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My experience in business, both within a collective bargaining environment and outside of such an environment, is you need to charge the right hourly rate and generate sufficient billable hours at that rate to make your business viable.

The theory is that in a collective bargaining environment, employers can't use their rates of pay (by paying their staff very poorly) as a competitive edge to procure work or massage larder gross profit margins. In the electrical contracting environment, in practice it seems to work out better for some categories of electrical work than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    Just wondering if its just me but is it the bargaining council rates the main reason that small business don't employ more staff?
    I gently suggest that the ability to generate a steady stream of sales is a far more significant factor.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post

I must pay an electrician R109.38? I have not come across an electrician I could generate, consistently, that much from. I mean all the good ones have there own business's.

Yes they have the papers and a trade test but most have no idea and none would I be able to generate R109.38 + running costs from.

I'm happy to pay anyone a fair wage but I for R109.38 and hour he/she would have to pretty much be able to run the business for me to make it viable with current running costs.

How are you guys managing it?
    That why people drop off "teams of semi skilled ... the electrical industry has created this problem for ourselves ... if you were or are an ECA member ... from my experience in the past ...you will find all the lads shouting the same slogans at the meeting ... "charge more ... minimum hourly rate blah blah blah " a week later you find you cant compete because everyone is charging anything from R250 per hour or R500 per point ... you can pick up "electricians" on the street corner ... until the people responsible for policing the industry actually do something about it ... you wasting your time complaining.

In the past I have used sub contractors to fill the gap ... however it is extremely difficult to find a good efficient sub contractor ... they are normally too busy or try steal some of your customers ... or you spend more time trying to explain to them how to do the job
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.