Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre paid meter require a COC

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Pre paid meter require a COC

If I install a private pre paid meter next to the DB ... do I need to issue a COC?

Yes you do need to a COC.

A supplementary COC must be completed and attached to the initial COC.
    Last edited by ians; 26-Jan-22 at 04:15 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I don't install prepaid meters so I really have no idea how they get wired into a circuit. However the certificate of compliance only includes circuits from the point of control to the point of consumption. If the meter is installed before the point of control then it does not have to appear on the coc

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Having said that, if it is a prepaid meter that controls the usage on a sub distribution board, then I would expect it would appear on the CoC.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    For the record we are talking about private pre paid meter installed next to the DB ... not the council meter in the meter box.

The one where they chop a hole in the wall and just feed the wire in behind the DB cover ... the wires used a re not double insulated nor they are protected in any way ... so every now and again you will get a call out for a bang sound from the DB ... to find the when the cover was fitted and tightened ... it eventually cut through the insulation and the result a bang.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    For the record we are talking about private pre paid meter installed next to the DB ... not the council meter in the meter box.

The one where they chop a hole in the wall and just feed the wire in behind the DB cover ... the wires used a re not double insulated nor they are protected in any way ... so every now and again you will get a call out for a bang sound from the DB ... to find the when the cover was fitted and tightened ... it eventually cut through the insulation and the result a bang.
    I dont think everyone installs them like that.
    We actually do a professional job.

Being the preferred installer comes with certain responsibilities.
    Random checks are carried out by the meter administrators.
    They also follow up by phone with the clients to check that our service was satisfactory.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart

Gold Member
    Thanks
    With regards to prepaid, we tried to get a CitiQ the other day, well near end of last year, and the salesman said he is no longer allowed to sell to us due to some court case, I then asked another supplier last week if he knows anything and he sahd no but states they don't have stock for awhile

So anyone know whats up with that ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Pre paid meter ... are like printing R200 notes ... you even get paid while you sleep.

Here the interesting part ... when you contact and enquire about the fees and stuff well lets just say ... I am glad I am not a tenant getting my butt reamed by my landlord and some private enterprise printing money for jam.

If you are a tenant ... I would suggest you make sure you have a COC for the electrical installation ... which "must either include the prepaid meter or a separate COC for the prepaid meter.

Some landlords might say they dont even have a COC for the rest of the property ... it is not really your problem ... You as the person renting the property is responsible for the electrical installation and will be held liable for any problems while you are renting the property ( if you are in legal ... feel free to correct me at any point).

Something to consider while renting ... all your personal stuff ... will it be covered if there is a fire .. .the building is not your problem ... but just imagine if you loose everything ... then you are told the building was a fire hazard so unfortunately they cant pay out.

If you are the owner of the property .. .think a little before you rush out and install a private prepaid meter ... dont laugh ... there are people who have a council meter in the meter box and a private prepaid meter on their property so they buy electricity from the private metering company when required ... then pay the council bill every month ... there are a few reasons why this happens ... the tenants move out and they owner moves back into the house etc.

Some people are not aware of the fees and costs deducted when purchasing power ... and I hear it is negotiable ... some might just charge a standard 15 % fee which means as the tenant you only get 85 % of what you pay for in kwh ... it adds up quickly ... like paying vat on every item.

I am told it is negotiable ... so best you negotiate prior to signing the lease agreement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    With regards to prepaid, we tried to get a CitiQ the other day, well near end of last year, and the salesman said he is no longer allowed to sell to us due to some court case, I then asked another supplier last week if he knows anything and he sahd no but states they don't have stock for awhile

So anyone know whats up with that ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    @ Dylboy

I have never had a problem obtaining CitiQ electrical prepaid meters. It is a Landis & Ger meter programmed for CitiQ. We install 100's of them.

There has recently been a disruption with the supply of prepaid water meters but that has nothing to do with any courtcase as far as I'm aware.
    There is a shortage of a certain part which makes up the assembly and this has only been a problem post the burning of factories in Natal last year, but they are still available. Bought 4 from ARB earlier in the week.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Some people are not aware of the fees and costs deducted when purchasing power ... and I hear it is negotiable ... some might just charge a standard 15 % fee which means as the tenant you only get 85 % of what you pay for in kwh ... it adds up quickly ... like paying vat on every item.

I am told it is negotiable ... so best you negotiate prior to signing the lease agreement.
    As far as I know, and this was some 5 years ago, there is legislation, which only allows ESKOM or the Municipality to make a profit on the sale of electricity. In other words they can not add extra cost to the electricity, not even a management fee, so effectively they are contravening the law.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Just a quick tip for those who don't know a quick way to check if a prepaid meter has been bypassed or semi bypassed.

Turn on a light in close proximity to the meter.

Punch the following code into the meter 0000 0000 0001 5099 7584

The contactor in the meter will now disconnect the supply.

It will reconnect automatically after a few seconds.

If the light went off, you're good. If not, there's monkey business.

This code is universal and works on any prepaid meter.

NOTE

If this code is used on the new Hexing smart meter that has a separate keypad unit, the meter will not switch back on automatically.
    The code has to be entered again in order to switch the meter on.
    Be sure that the batteries in the remote unit are good otherwise you gonna sit without power.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast