Thread: The test report format

Diamond Member
    Thanks

The test report format

I have been going through COC's dating back to 2005 and the COC Annexure 1 is pretty similar ... there have been some changes but they are minor.

Note 1 : This certificate is not valid unless all the sections have been completed correctly and the test report in the format approved by the chief inspector is attached.

The test report on the other hand has changed ... a lot.

I recently got my hands on documents purchased from the ECA ... number system NM ... and I received a COC/test report for a property sold 1 months ago ... it is not the same.

The NM test report has (To SANS 10142-1) and NMR document has (To SANS 10142-1 clause 7.16) and the test report is not the same.

Section 2/3 and 4 are different.

My question is ... which format is the correct one approved by the chief inspector ... the reason I ask is people seem adamant that the old 4 pages COC/test report is no longer valid ... yet the "single page ... both sides" is not even the same.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Have a look at your SANS 10142-1 Ed3 on pg. 260 there is the format approved by the chief inspector. So from this you may add but not reduce. That is why the ECA and ECB COC`s alway differ but the base as per SANS is the same.

Hope it helps

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (26-Jan-22)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This is why I am trying to figue out why a 4 pages COC is no longer valid ... it has more information than the double sided 1 page COC ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    This is why I am trying to figue out why a 4 pages COC is no longer valid ... it has more information than the double sided 1 page COC ?
    The 4 page test report has no dedicated space for neutral impedance.

The new 2 page test report on the other hand has no spot for the readily accessible earthing terminal which is still necessary on 80% of the installations that I test.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    So then if we make our own test report but keep all the info from the 2 page new CoC we can then also add more info and then by extention we can do what Ians is doing and digitize it and then just transpose the numbers that you get for the CoC that are to your name ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    So then if we make our own test report but keep all the info from the 2 page new CoC we can then also add more info and then by extention we can do what Ians is doing and digitize it and then just transpose the numbers that you get for the CoC that are to your name ?

I just use those forms that are available.
    Why try and re invent the wheel ?

Derek Stuart

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    To save wasting all that time ... I got smart and made it real simple ... yellow post it over the number ... used a decent scanner in yellow ... use the number from the pile of old 4 page COC's already purchased.

Save to PDF ... use fill and sign and bingo COC typed ... looks all professional and emailed in yellow ... no more reinvesting the wheel

For random COC ... I just fill out the document as required (the less the better) ... for regular customers I do all the ground work like I normally do collecting ... all the data and drawings etc and and save it for easy fault finding in the future.

As I get smarter so I share less info with others.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Most of the COC's I receive via email are hand written and you cant even read half the info on the documents.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Look l don't yet have my wiremans but so close, but I do some CoCs at work and my biggest gripe is having to then go hand deliver the CoC once filled out and I have done the report so if it can just be emailed then thats a huge bonus to me

Edit, only now I know of this written note of responsibility but still need to find out more, but the boss does come to site at the begining and end and goes through it with a fine tooth comb.... just in case anyone wants to rant at that hahaha