Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COC software for multi function testers

Diamond Member
    Thanks

COC software for multi function testers

Multi function testers have software ... data storage and test result upload facilities.

The question ... does anyone know if fluke or megger have an app for SANS COC's ?

I am surprised with all the technology available today ... we still have to manually fill out test reports

Megger has bought out a company which offers software for the UK.

https://uk.megger.com/electrical-cer...ware-certsuite.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have a fluke multi function tester and imagine that ... did a bit of scratching ... I have all the software on my computer already ... and it has a design feature ... you can make up test reports and down load the data automatically.

When I bought this equipment I just didnt have the time nor the patients to tinker with it ... now I have both.

It would just make my life a lot easier.

I must have a look at the new fluke multi function tester ... chances are you can link to an app and as you test ... so the data should automatically upload to the app.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    That is very cool! Those MTF'S are great.

I believe the new fluke does have an App but not 100% sure as yet.

One day when I'm big I want to get an MFT... hopefully will be big soon hahaha.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dylboy; 17-Jan-22 at 07:45 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It pays to shop around ... the last time I spent R160 000.00 on test equipment (Ti20 ... 435 and a 1653) I was shocked to find that if I had booked a plane ticket to the USA ... purchased the equipment ... spent 2 weeks doing training courses ... when I arrived back in SA ... I would have still had change in my pocket ... then I was told ... but is is the local support you pay for ... you don't need local support for your equipment ... we have the internet.

At the time of purchase ... I was the only company in SA with a 435 ... which proved to be a challenge for support ... since then the guys at Comtest have become a lot more experienced in the use of the equipment ... but now unfortunately the equipment is outdated/obsolete ... handy as a very expensive load profile tester ... which you cant leave on site without it growing legs ... so even though there is a huge demand for data logging ... there are very few sites I would leave the equipment unattended ... its just not worth the small change people charge for data logging.

Fluke equipment will outlast the warranty ... what I have found is the screens on both the Ti20 and the 435 are starting to fade around the edges ... other than that they still work fine ... the 1653 still works fine.

The only issue I have with fluke equipment ... the leads ... they don't last long ... but still prefer them over any of the other brands.

The batteries are flippen expensive if purchased from comtest ... but you can get them repacked at a fraction of the cost.

I have use other brands of test equipment

Major tech ... eeeeish ... unless it has a K in the model number I dont waste my money.

UNI-T ... I have a small multi meter in my office draw for checking fuses and batteries and the odd occasion I might check something in the workshop if I am lazy to collect the meter from the van ... I wouldn't use it on site ... the leads are too short.

Megger ... I have only used old megger instruments ... at the time they were good quality ...but once I started using fluke I stuck with them

I was thinking about getting another 289 ... but at the price ... and capabilities ... I doubt I will replace it.

The 189 ... was a waste of money ...fortunately I got my money back when I sold it.

I had an 87 for many years ... eventually passed it down to one of the appies.

I still use my old 79 on a daily basis ... thinking about upgrading it to a 117 ... a little more compact.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Oh wow hahaha, thats a lot of very nice equipment though!

I know I will be going to UK to get the MFT when I am ready as it is baicially half price to here, and I get to see some friends and family and if I time it right maybe watch some tennis haha.

But you have some nice kit there !

I watched a YouTube now on the Megger new form and it looks amazing, I don't think S.A would ever get to that point.

I wonder that if we can transpose the CoC number to our own form if then perhaps it can work.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had this theory that if you use good quality equipment it would improve your standard of work and efficiency ... a very expensive mistake ... nice to have toys ... but I would never waste money like that again.

It does make an impression while working on site ... but not enough to warrant the expense.

The same with Hilti equipment ... the inflated prices dont justify the value of the tool ... for example ... if you are doing dustless chasing in an occupied building on a daily basis ... I would consider the dustless system ... but for just general chasing ... it is better to get 1 lad off the street and give him a angle grinder and let him go wild ... some will say its against the law ... well you should tell that to all the people who do it.

A problem I found with Hilti .... they advertise that their tools have a 20 year warranty ... yet they only service some machines for linited period of 5 years and only support some of the the machines for 10 years (regarded as the lifetime) ... I am trying to figue out how the 20 warranty works ... I must be missing something ... or maybe it is false advertising

It pisses me off when I cut all the walls and while fitting the pipes ... the plumber arrives and drops off a lad and off they go ... then we cant work while he chases the walls ... then you hear the cusotmer complaining ... but the reis nothing they can do ... they get over it ... I might as well do the same thing and save R30 000 on dustless equipment.

Its like spending 3 months burying all the conduits and cabling and hiding everything to look super neat ... along comes the electric fence/alarm and CCTV people and they just throw everything on the walls ... it looks shyte.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    That is valuable advice and I agree a lot.

We have a dustless chaser for work yet no one uses it as they feels its slow and someone else cleans.... but there is a place for it.

I am also getting to the point with some tools, where I would buy a cheaper one as it is used less and if it breaks its still cheaper to buy it again compared to the more expensive brand.

I have a 14v ryobi and man that thing pumps and it was 900 bucks, got it many moons ago when was in a pinch to fit a cupboard hahaa.

Also gone are the days of doing it proper, I am young but I see it and my boss tells me,

We do 2 quotes, the proper way and the this can work by minium and they 99.5% take cheaper minimum one and still haggle...

When I was in the printing game, we used a lot of what we called day staff, was 150 a day and boy did they graft... there were machines that could do it but by no means as cheap,
    So when workload increased would see who was available and next day lady was there.... Heck sometimes a different person came who was maybe a friend or sister if that other person had work hahaha but end of the day it was done.
    So with that said, the days of having full staff compliment are also much less...

I am close to having my own setup going and I will make use of guys as and when needed...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have found that when we pick up the one day lad, that I always buy some type of breakfast for them, as most times they have not eaten for a day or 2 and are weak. After the breakfast I get a good day out of them.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is a catch with the one day lad ... security.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Yes ya security is an issue, in the begging it is hard to find the person and then find a few that can be trusted.... but I do feel that is where its heading.

Even corporate world a lot is now via a consultant opposed to full time person.

Electrical I feel its using either a day lad or another electrician as a contractor...

All have there pros and cons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast