Thread: 230VAC socket in bathroom

Thanks

230VAC socket in bathroom

Hi,

I need some advice please. I am quite on par with zones etc in bathrooms and the various SANS requirements thereof.

I need to install a 230VAC connection in the bathroom for the gas geyser to light the flame. This is a fixed appliance so Table 7.1 allows such an connection with conditions A and B1 compliancy.

I basically need to know what the correct specific IPX5 rated product will be for this application as I simply cannot find something that comply.

Thanks
    I finally decided to move the connection outside Zone 2 (1,2m from the showerhead and 2,25m above the floor) and use a dedicated blue socket outlet inside a corner cabinet. The geyser is a smart geyser using 230VAC to light the flame and also allowing you to remotely set the flow volume and temperature. If you want to shower you can set it to a different temperature than when you need hot water in the kitchen.

Thanks
    Good morning.
    I doubt that it was necessary to use a "special" plug or install it in an enclosure if it's outside zone 2.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It blows my mind that you have a set of regs for gas hobs ... yet the geysers have no limits with regards to the position of the plug.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    It blows my mind that you have a set of regs for gas hobs ... yet the geysers have no limits with regards to the position of the plug.
    Yes, @ians I found this very strange as well. I actually spent a whole day reading up on the latest electrical and gas regulations to see what is to be done.

Interesting that I found the latest BS wiring standard has changed the bathroom zones to less restrictive whereas the new SANS (2021) wiring standard still uses the older BS bathroom zoning scheme.

I also found the BS standard explains the bathroom partition corner radiuses to be used very well whereas the direct copy thereof in the SANS specification makes no mention of how these radiuses are to be calculated. Only in Figure 7.2.3 is some explanation, but that once again only applies to zoning of swimming pools and paddling pools with fixed partitions.

Thanks
    I, myself have never seen a "smart" gas geyser needing power in order to work.

Sort of defies the whole logic of having a gas geyser.

No power, no hot shower. Not so smart.

Peace out ... Derek Stuart

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    I, myself have never seen a "smart" gas geyser needing power in order to work.

Sort of defies the whole logic of having a gas geyser.

No power, no hot shower. Not so smart.

Peace out ... Derek Stuart
    There are usually 2 models, one with batteries to drive the flame igniter, and the more sophisticated one, in which there is an LCD display, and some parameters are displayed, which is usually powered by mains
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    There are usually 2 models, one with batteries to drive the flame igniter, and the more sophisticated one, in which there is an LCD display, and some parameters are displayed, which is usually powered by mains
    Correct and this house is off-grid so no issue.