Thread: Damaging ceilings

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Damaging ceilings

In all the years of working as a sparkie ... we have had 3 ceiling incidents ... the first one many years ago ... a youngster who had never worked in the roofand 2 of them in the past 4 months.

The last one we had to replace a full panel and repaint the entire ceiling.

This time we have patched the ceiling ...however that is tuning into a nightmare ... we have already spent a full day trying to patch and paint ... now the ceiling has cracked and we have to patch again ... My thought is to punish the person by making him take a half day to fix his problem ... can I deduct it from his wages ... the same person who damage the other ceiling.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe consider having an insurance policy to cover this type of event.
    In the case it occurs, the insurance company will contract a ceiling company to repair/replace
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    maybe my public liability cover would cover for the repairs?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    maybe my public liability cover would cover for the repairs?
    Speak to your broker
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know you cannot keep an employee responsible for damages. Sadly you are the responsible party and you are responsible for their conduct. In short "your business / your problem" and the client can keep you on the hook. Remember that you are the responsible person not your employee thus you had to make sure your employee is competent >> having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully. << . Now if you talk to your Lawyer ask him about "principle of vicarious liability" and they will explain it in more detail.

But essentially you can ask your employee to go fix it BUT if he does a bad job at it, it WILL make the situation worse for you. So rather make sure the fix is done right and to client satisfactory and let the client sign off on it. That is important because in a few months when new problems occur they can just turn around and say "right remember that day... bla bla bla broken bla bla bla you need to fix it bla bla bla..." If he signs off on it, and your wording is within the legal lingo you should be in a "better" position.

But i strongly advice you to talk to a Lawyer...

Last thing:

Please note: THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE hence why i have a disclaimer.

EDIT:
    Check out: ACTS ONLINE it is a great resource and i personally have used it for as long as i have been in business.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

6. Thanks given for this post:

mygoggie (11-Jan-22)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.