Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light fittings and earth wires

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I cant see how each organisation is creating their own numbers ... it is suppose to be a legal document ... I could then just use the same number for all the COC's we issue.

Imagine going to court and the judge says Mr sparkie with reference to your COC BXXXXXX we find you been a naughty boy ... then I turn around and say but thats not my number someone might have copied it.

I am assuming every COC sold to inspectors ... has some form of record of who purchased that range of BXXXXXX numbers ... the pile of 4 page COC's I purchased many years ago must have some record of me purchasing them.

If they are not well then this industry has a serious problem.

The fact that this is being discussed on this forum indicates how big a problem it has become.

The way it should work ... I have another unhappy customer ... simple ... I log onto the DOL COC register (as a licensed registered electrical contractor)... search the property address and bingo all copies of COC's issued for that property from the first one every issued ... including any new COC's issued since the original if the property was sold and any supplementary COC's issued for additions and alterations.

I know we live in a 3 rd world country ... but we have the technology and the ability to setup a system like this.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    People are going to say some people cant afford the equipment or data to run an online system ... bullshyte ... what does it cost to become an inspector ... how did you pay all those expenses?

To make even more legit ... the location where the online COC is being done would reduce the office inspectors dishing out COC's from a different province
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

I know we live in a 3 rd world country ... but we have the technology and the ability to setup a system like this.
    We cannot even print drivers licences at the moment.

Peace out ... Derek Stuart

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Tried to contact the DOL and the ECA to renew my registration ... it seems everyone is still on holiday

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

I am assuming every COC sold to inspectors ... has some form of record of who purchased that range of BXXXXXX numbers ... the pile of 4 page COC's I purchased many years ago must have some record of me purchasing them.

If they are not well then this industry has a serious problem.

The fact that this is being discussed on this forum indicates how big a problem it has become.

The way it should work ... I have another unhappy customer ... simple ... I log onto the DOL COC register (as a licensed registered electrical contractor)... search the property address and bingo all copies of COC's issued for that property from the first one every issued ... including any new COC's issued since the original if the property was sold and any supplementary COC's issued for additions and alterations.

Originally that was the intention and the debate started around the costs involved. The debate went further when different organizations started lobbying to be that organization that controlled it - The one organazition that no longer exists made a statement that if you belong to them, then they would " protect you" before any action could be taken against you.
    Probably the reason that the department kind of scrapped the idea and has tried a couple of different ideas that have yet to take hold.
    There was talk of having to buy each COC at say R200.00 ( going back 10 /15 years) each , which would then fund the independent organization to run with it and carry out random inspections. This sounded good on paper but not practical.

Practically - paying R200 over and above the installation of light point was excessive vs a coc for say a warehouse which would be insignificant money .
    Then the idea came up of R 100 per 80Amps on the rated incomer. Also a problem - I do a socket for a factory owner at home and charge him 500 for the socket and 100 for the COC - Then go to his factory and install a socket, R 500 for socket and R 2 000.00 for COC . Think he would flip out.

The OHSA electrical regulations are due for some changes this year , I've heard , which may bring along some changes in the way things are done , hopefully for the best and not the normal SA way that the good get policed and the bad continue as normal.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    1982 I started working in this industry ... 9 years of training ... 31 years self employed ... I can only shake my head and smile.

Fortunately I have been slowly but surely finding the small percentage of customers who still require a quality product ... or should I say they find me on the sites I work.

Looking at the quality of products being dumped in the market ... I cant see how it can improve ... the standards are so low that you can sell rejects as SANS approved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12