Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light fittings and earth wires

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Light fittings and earth wires

I found a thread back in 2015 where this subject was discussed ... but there is no solution and as we know the rules have been changing by the week/month year to make a quick R1000 a pop

I am busy with another "test report" ...

found no earth wires on a metal light fitting with a brass holder ... it should be earthed (mounted at 2.2 m AFFL)

A bunch of metal fittings with porcelain holders mounted 3.5 m in the air ... this could get interesting ... as per I comment I read "older installations require an inspector be a little more flexible with the regs" (cant remember where I read it ... could have been the ECA website) ... the fittings were installed a long time ago.

A bunch of ceiling fans ... with porcelain lamp holders ... a ceiling fan being a fixed appliance but doesnt form part of the electrical installation ... it could explain why the person who installed them didnt feel the need to connect them at the time of installation ( 20 years ago)

From what I can last recall ... if a luminaire has a plastic lamp holder ... the fitting doesn't need to be earthed.

If it has a brass lamp holder ... an earth is required.

Throw in an older installation ... fixed appliances ... and light fittings out of arms reach ... this is a subject that some may see as a grey area.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Which reminds me I still havent been able to find a place to register as an electrical contractor with the DOL ... it seems everyone is still closed until the 10th ... so I am sure nobody will be worried about my registration until after the 10th ... I am thinking about creating my own 2 page COC and just using the numbers from the pile of 4 page COC's.

It is a legal document ... I dont see why I cant use the number on the document ... its is not like I am making up a number ... I paid for the documents and they are registered to my name.

and you can get online COC which would be printed on a white document ... so the yellow COC is no longer an issue.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    My view on older installations is that is bascially meets "generally safe" pretty much meets all of chapter 5.

As for your CoC page thing I believe I read a comment of a person who they make their own CoC on the computer. I assume they just buy a pack of yellow papers and use the numbers as you suggest. I feel it is fine as then also you can have your own digital copy and have much nicer notes and spacing and all that.

I reckon could ask the ECA if you can and I reckon they will say no as to only push you to sign up and use their system so with that said I have no idea who else to ask if you can so then I reckon can do so...

Maybe check chapter 8 and the Electircal installtion law thing and see if maybe something their prohibits it but if their is an online version then I feel their is no law prohibiting it as long as all the info is there as a like for like. Once more this is all my opinion but I do like what you thinking

In the UK they have it all on their ipads and laptops...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I am thinking about creating my own 2 page COC and just using the numbers from the pile of 4 page COC's.

It is a legal document ... I dont see why I cant use the number on the document ... its is not like I am making up a number ... I paid for the documents and they are registered to my name.

and you can get online COC which would be printed on a white document ... so the yellow COC is no longer an issue.

In attempting to answer the above it may be better to ask the question
    OHSA has a definition of a COC which I have pasted below.

Is the coc unique number obtained from the chief inspector ? - As far as I am aware we cannot get the number from the chief inspector.
    Has the Chief inspector appointed a person or body to issue unique numbers ? - I have not seen any gazette or instruction come from the chief inspector with an appointment .

If the above 2 answers are correct , which I am putting out there for correction , what stops me from creating my own unique number ?

"certificate of compliance" means
    (a) a certificate with a unique number obtainable from the chief inspector, or a person appointed by the chief inspector, in the form of Annexure 1 J and issued by a registered person in respect of an electrical installation or part of an electrical installation; or
    (b) a certificate of compliance issued under the Electrical Installation Regulations, 1992;

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That is why I thought rather than going an purchasing another pile of COC's ... why not just use the old 4 page COC unique number ... I purchased and paid for them.

If you can issue and online COC which could be any colour paper you want to print ... white ... yellow ... blue ... green.

So if I create a2 page Xl document that looks like a COC with the number from the original 4 page COC.

If its round and stubby and looks like shyte ... smells like shyte it must be shyte (it may not be brown) ... same as the COC if it looks like a COC has a unique number issued by the chief inspector ... and has all the relvant data and some ... it "could" be a valid COC ... (highlighting the could be ) we all know even if it is yellow ... has a unique number issued by the chief inspector ... has a registered contractors details and even a registered persons details ... doesnt make valid

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Maybe all you need is annexure 1 ... the test report could be made up of multiple pages ... the more the better ... it just means the inspector actually carried out the tests and recorded them.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    "certificate of compliance" means
    (a) a certificate with a unique number obtainable from the chief inspector, or a person appointed by the chief inspector, in the form of Annexure 1 J and issued by a registered person in respect of an electrical installation or part of an electrical installation; or
    (b) a certificate of compliance issued under the Electrical Installation Regulations, 1992;

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have just completed a test report (5 bedroom house) ... it took 3 days to complete ... including all the repairs ... it has 8 pages excluding Annexure1 and all the before and after photos.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    ... has a unique number issued by the chief inspector ... (
    Where did you get the unique number issue by the chief inspector ?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Where did you get the unique number issue by the chief inspector ?
    Let me rephrase that ... I dont have a "unique number" ... the pile of 4 pages COC's each have a number ... which I am asumming you refer to as the "unique" number.

Its the certificate no. B XXXXXX

What I wan to do is use that number BXXXXXX on an XL document which looks just like a 2 page COC ... then print it to PDF and send it as the original or supplementary COC ... then file the 4 page yellow with the PDF that I send.

That way I have my own online COC ... considering the ECA dont want to share to non members ... so maybe just make my own ... just better.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Let me rephrase that ... I dont have a "unique number" ... the pile of 4 pages COC's each have a number ... which I am asumming you refer to as the "unique" number.

Its the certificate no. B XXXXXX

What I wan to do is use that number BXXXXXX on an XL document which looks just like a 2 page COC ... then print it to PDF and send it as the original or supplementary COC ... then file the 4 page yellow with the PDF that I send.

That way I have my own online COC ... considering the ECA dont want to share to non members ... so maybe just make my own ... just better.
    The way I see it - You can make your own unique number as there is no single entity that is actually authorized to issue unique numbers and the various organizations that are suppling COC are making up there own set of numbers that are not linked back to the Chief Inspector .
    I am open to correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast