Thread: Extreme heat

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Extreme heat

The question ... at what point do you stop working or do you expect your teams to work through the heat ?

We have been working in the roof space since Monday ... we have fans mounted in the roof space but today I decided to pack up at 12.00 and left site ... told the customer we will be back tomorrow when it starts cooling down. I climbed out the roof to collect something ... when I went back in ... it made me realise how hot it was.

Most of the work is done ... we just need to tidy up the cabling and secure a few covers.

We will be planning jobs around the heat for the next few weeks ... any jobs which require work outside in the open or in roof spaces will be done from 7 am till 10 ... maybe 11 am.

I have watched a gradual increase in the my vehicle temp. year after year ... last year it got to 39.5 degrees ... this year I have seen it reach 42 degrees.

Am I just getting soft in my old age ( just dropped to downhill side of 50 ) ... at least I qualify for pensioners discount soon
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Not at all. I think that is very practical. I won't get into a roof after 10am. Today I did four jobs at one customer. One of them was in the shade the rest were outside in the direct sun.
    I finished at 13:00. I'm 62 and I will not be doing that again.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was going to start installing solar panels ... yeah right ... we will wait till it cools down a bit ... just imagine standing on a tin roof ... eeeeish.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think handling heat definitely gets tougher as we get older. When it comes to roof work, my instructions to my teams is to drink lots of water and take regular breaks to keep your core temperature under control.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We are always talking about safety and the OSHACT ... everyone is all over the safety gear and what to wear ... electrical safety ... exposed cords etc ... but I have never in almost 40 years of working on sites ... ever seen or heard of a safety officer taking the heat on site into consideration.

I have worked in the snow where it is was so cold I couldnt hold the tool ... I had to get gloves ... I have also worked in cold rooms where the temp was -20 degrees ... there we had to wear special jackets and pants ... we were also restricted to time limits per session ... so it seems the cold weather safety is taken into consideration.

I cant say the same for the the heat ... the only time we did take precautions was while building a water treatment plant ... from 11 am till 2 pm we would strip naked and sit in the water reservoir ... I purchased bottle water on that site