Thread: Employee Tax

Thanks

Employee Tax

Hi there,

I've recently hired a frail care nurse to look after my father and was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to do about tax. She lives with my dad and has food and board paid for and she earns R3500 per month with a discretionary R1500 bonus that is paid based on on any additional work done outside of her normal tasks.

Do I need to pay tax on her behalf? UIF I imagine is required but what about PAYE?

Kind regards,
    Bernard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For persons under 65 the tax threshold for 2022 tax year is R87 300.00 per annum. (per SARS here).
    That translates to R7 275 per month.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by berIVard View Post
    Hi there,

I've recently hired a frail care nurse to look after my father and was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to do about tax. She lives with my dad and has food and board paid for and she earns R3500 per month with a discretionary R1500 bonus that is paid based on on any additional work done outside of her normal tasks.

Do I need to pay tax on her behalf? UIF I imagine is required but what about PAYE?

Kind regards,
    Bernard
    We have just been through the frail care nurse story and unbeknown to me was done on a verbal basis , not through an agency , and when my Dad past away last month become an issue that suddenly landed on my lap.

I am assuming you are about to be faced with a similar set up.

Make sure you do some sort of written contract and make all taxes, UIF etc their problem to sort out and pay
    Ensure that you sort out the work hours and rates , holiday leave pay , and what happens when the person passes away .

My mom was suddenly left with an argument over what they thought should be due with regards to notice pay , accumulated holiday pay and a bunch of other demands .

In my opinion they were trying to take advantage of the situation until I climbed in and sorted it out .

Get something in writing especially on how the employment relationship will end

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by berIVard View Post
    Hi there,

Kind regards,
    Bernard
    I am not knocking what you are doing - I am simply stating some facts.

My wife earns between 500 and 700 GBP per week doing the same in the UK. She says she clears R10K per week whilst working there. They earn 2x to work on bank holidays and 3 working over Christmas and New years. Of course working in the UK comes with its own issues.

The implication is that it costs much much to have an in-home carer in the UK - at least 2500 GBP