Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online electrical contractor registration

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I contacted the ECB and ECA to try purchase online COC ... however the ECB require a R900 membership fee and the same with the ECA membership is required.

So what is so special about the online COC ... an XL document saved as a PDF ? or is there some sort of security features to prevent people from modifying them .... a PDF document can be modified if you have the right software.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You can purchase a 20 pack of COC's from the ECA as a non member.

The question ... who is responsible for the COC documents ... SANS or The DOL or the ECB or the ECA ?

What makes the ECA or ECB online COC legit ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The COC ... I made a decision to create my own online COC's 2 pages the same as in the latest SANS ed 3 and use the number from the 4 page COC ... it is a legal document and therefore so long as the COC I create and issue has all the required information ... there is no reason why it cant be done ... I will attach the 4 page COC to the copy for reference to the number.

If anyone feels this is illegal feel free to show me why I cant.
    As things presently stand, I don't think it would be illegal, however, what are the advantages ? Sounds like extra work to me.

I write out the COC on bought forms, scan and print.

That way I have a pdf for online use as well as a hard copy.

Peace out ... Derek Stuart

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Trying to renew my DOL contractor registration is proving to be a bigger challenge than expected ... looks like we going to be a pirate contractor another 10 years .

You cant renew online ... maybe nobody at the DOL has the skills to use a computer or maybe they dont have computers

The ECB no longer do it for their members because apparently the DOL will not allow them to do it.

The ECA dont do it anymore .for the same reason.

We wonder why this industry has fallen through its own a$$.

COC's have become a joke not worth the paper they are printed on ... and we complain about the contractors and crap workmanship ... eeeesih.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Like all the other documents ... we could just put DOL registration "pending"

Fortunately I already have a number ... so we will just use that one with "pending" next to it.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    8 calls so far to the DOL ... each time there is no answer

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Tried all day today ... nobody answers the phones ... We wonder why the electrical industry is so f%^ked

I am told they dont even have an email address ... eeeeeish ... once again lets just smile and respond the say when someone asks why you are issuing COC on an expired registration number.

It is 2022 ? ... we do have 5 G internet and 100 meg + fibre lines with the latest technology devices for easy communication.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I wrote an email to Pfano at the ECA with respect to your problem
    She replied that she does still assist with DOL registration but that it takes up to a month.
    Her reply: "We still assist but it takes longer than a month for us to get the registrations back."
    Give her a try, pfanon@ecasa.co.za

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    She replied that she does still assist with DOL registration but that it takes up to a month.
    Her reply: "We still assist but it takes longer than a month for us to get the registrations back."
    Give her a try, pfanon@ecasa.co.za

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback ... after all the frustration ... I have managed to find someone to sort it out ... I am told it could take up to 6 weeks ... thank goodness for the word "pending" ... its time to renew the various site safety documentation ... the same thing I just write the numbers for everything and the word "pending".

Thank goodness everyone is aware of the frustration when dealing with these departments.

Its handy to have a back door ... someone willing to take a little something for their efforts to reduce time wasted ... the only problem its gets expensive ... I believe home affairs back door is around R600 now ... but I suppose if your rate is R800 per hour and you save 6 hours and a possible return visit the following day ... its worth it.

Even the driver license at R1000 under the counter ... saves a huge amount of time and return visits and costs of more driving lessons.

I have never been that kind of person to do shyte like that ... but as the saying goes ... if you cant beat join them ... follow the leaders.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Based on my experience over the years, still a pleasure compared to trying to deal with a registration renewal through DoL in Durban.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast