Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Online electrical contractor registration

Thanks
    In 3 years from now, I hope to be on the banks of the Orange river somewhere, sipping sundowners while watching the sun set.

Yep. Slowly winding down and getting ready for the groot trek

Derlyn

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So here's a detailed response I received from Shantonette on the issue of electrical contractor renewals in KZN.

Hi Dave

I have read the thread and thank you for that.

The issues as discussed with you is that we are no longer able to assist with registration process through Pretoria then we reverted to trying locally, however we were faced with the following:

1. It takes the same amount of time to register the contractor, and in Durban you know that could take ages, nothing special about our services then. As compared to when we were doing to Pretoria we would get it in 2 days time.

2. We were then advised as were other contractors that they need to register at their local DOL jurisdiction. So for example if Paolo from Richard's Bay comes to Durban he would be sent away and if we took it to Dol in Durban to renew his license we would be sent away that means Resheka or I would have to drive to Richard's Bay to register Paolo. In doing so the contractor would pay R150 service fee and I would have to charge (the Association) for my travel cost which is over R1500 for that trip. This does not make sense but that is what is the scenario. In fact last week a contractor walked into out offices perturbed by this rule. His office operates in Ottawa he was sent away by DOL (in Durban) and told he should register in Verulam. We have experienced same as far as Ladysmith, South Coast and Pinetown.

So really not sure what we should do. Do we only do Durban registrations and turn everyone else away? And then some find out and become aggro about why we do it for some and not others not being able to understand that ECA will run at a loss?

We shall raise it at our next EXCo meeting maybe?
    To my mind:
    1. One of the benefits of doing the renewal through the ECA (SA) is that the renewal application is checked before submission to ensure all that is required is present. This is a win for both the contractor and the DoL (one would think DoL would appreciate that!!). However, the issue of having to go to the closest Labour Centre to the address of the electrical contractor is without doubt a challenge!!

2. I have never understood why there are different standards applied by the different regions of the DoL when it comes to what is required for electrical contractor registration and renewal. There should be a single, national standard applied. I would also like to understand the thinking behind this "must use the closest Labour Centre" approach we are seeing in KZN.

3. Returning to the title of this thread, ultimately I suggest providing the capacity to submit renewal applications online on a national basis is long overdue. If it is about boots on the ground and local knowledge, if the DoL has a concern about the validity of an application, I think it wouldn't take much to twist the NBCEI's arm to go validate the details of the applicant. The NBCEI is already a proxy for DoL structures in many matters that would otherwise go to the CCMA (and lately, also assisting the FSCA...).

Cyril Ramaphosa spoke about removing the unnecessary obstacles and red tape to doing business in his latest SONA. This bit of red tape is due for an overhaul.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A second message advises:

Sorry one more thing, we do take in new registration though for people who want a Gauteng number we get it done through Pretoria if they have satellite offices in Pretoria or Gauteng.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave

Not quite the same explanation I remember hearing which is a pity as it could have been taken up.

Looks like we going back to the way you had to register in each municipality in the " old days" of inspectors

There appear to be moves afoot to make changes but feel that it needs to be done a bit quicker .

Eastern Cape at the moment only has one office that does registrations and it is in East London.No other DOL office does registrations which makes it simpler but also more difficult as an individual.

Maybe KZN exco should request a regular meeting with the head of DOL in the area and try build a relationship.
    East/South cape started it and then change of heads put a halt to it , but it did help for awhile.
    We used to do the same with the municipality as an informal get together every 3 months. Helps when you start it as a piece of meat on the fire with a beer to get attendance up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Maybe KZN exco should request a regular meeting with the head of DOL in the area and try build a relationship.
    East/South cape started it and then change of heads put a halt to it , but it did help for awhile.
    Requesting and getting are two different things

Historically the Durban office relied on the technical support personnel to liase with the DoL inspectorate with mixed results (mostly being ignored frankly). I don't know that there have been any recent requests though. No harm in trying.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It boils down to getting hold of the right person ... I found the right person and the registration was completed in 2 days.

I hear all this talk about unemployment bullshyte ... yet people stand in que for hours ... sometimes days ... with cash in hand

You have to be really stupid if you cant see the benefit of moving the money faster ... am I missing something ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I hear all this talk about unemployment bullshyte ... yet people stand in que for hours ... sometimes days ... with cash in hand
    My last round in Durban was a horror story. I'm trying to calculate whether my offices are closer to Ottawa.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    My last round in Durban was a horror story. I'm trying to calculate whether my offices are closer to Ottawa.
    "moon boot" or "crutches" saves you the R600 mafia door hopping syndicate or the 6 hours que ... its cheaper to get a doctors note. This applies to everything State run entity. When you need to get shyte done ... plan right and make sure when it time to renew passports/driver license/ vehicle registration or what ever it is ... be careful you dont twist your ankle.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234